Boston EMT Jobs

Sorry, I should have clarified that I was speaking of the non-911, non-EMS job that is all that most EMTs will ever get. EMS is relatively exciting. But few EMTs in Boston will ever see that job. It's something to shoot for though, so long as you don't need to make a living in the meantime.

Actually, BLS is allowed on 911 trucks in Boston... and Massachusetts in general has many communities that have BLS primary response, with ALS intercept service if needed. Lawrence, Lowell and others are BLS on the ambulance, and paramedics in an SUV. So there are actually a lot of systems to get "exciting" experience if one so desires... at least here in Mass. Whether that is a system that you would prescribe to (something tells me you wouldn't), is a whole other matter.

Boston being a hub in the Medical world has many clinics and out-patient buildings that have contracts with other services outside of Boston EMS. These offices call their privately contracted services for emergency responses, so even if you don't work for Boston EMS... there is experience to be had in the Boston system.

I still can not argue the pay... it is horridly small, and doing it part-time will not allow you to work on it enough to be good at it... but what does it matter anyway? Basics are worthless and an affront to EMS professionals everywhere.

LOL

COS you are having to much fun riling up Dust.

That's not very fun, just didn't want someone from Texas telling a kid from Boston what to expect in Boston... What's fun is designing a Peanut Butter, Banana, and raspberry cheesecake... Yum... Which I did this weekend BTW...

Actually, BLS is allowed on 911 trucks in Boston... and Massachusetts in general has many communities that have BLS primary response, with ALS intercept service if needed. Lawrence, Lowell and others are BLS on the ambulance, and paramedics in an SUV.

Right, I knew that. Just saying that, out of every thousand people who finish their 120 hours of EMT training with wide eyed dreams of glory, the percentage that will ever actually work a day on a 911 EMS ambulance are a dismal minority, just about anywhere you go.

Right, I knew that. Just saying that, out of every thousand people who finish their 120 hours of EMT training with wide eyed dreams of glory, the percentage that will ever actually work a day on a 911 EMS ambulance are a dismal minority, just about anywhere you go.

A very small percentage of Culinary school graduates actually go on to realize their dream of working in the culinary field... but I don't hear you railing against sub-standard restaurant fare.

Most people with, gasp, "traditional" educations do not actually go into their chosen field of study (with far more than the paltry 120 hours of study)... why should EMS be any different? Only a little bit of this is actual opportunity. As an instructor and an FTO, I've seen many students and freshly minted EMT's come and go without making an impact or staying with the career. Usually because they either find out that it is not like they saw on television, or they are shocked at the dismal pay. There are actually more opportunities to practice your craft in a 911 setting as a Basic, then to use a Bachelor of Arts in Humanities. EMS is no different from the rest of the industries in the world... you get what you put into it. If you want to do it... you can do it... the question is, do you?

1'm 47, and still hanginh in there, I dont see any of thr medics I went to school with, I see one Fire medic, thats it every one else got Burned out and left for greener pastures. Medicm since 1995.

Be safe. Cheers.

Yes i am also a crummy speller and Illiterate.

There are actually more opportunities to practice your craft in a 911 setting as a Basic, then to use a Bachelor of Arts in Humanities.

Hence the long standing joke,

Science majors ask "how?"

Economic majors ask "how much?"

Sociology majors ask "who."

Arts and humanities majors ask "Would you like fries with that?"

History majors ask "when?"

Geography majors ask "where?"

Psychology majors ask "why?".

Philosophy majors ask "why not?".

Paramedic majors ask "is this going to be on the test?"

Edited by Dustdevil

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.