If you're involved with this study from the EMS side,

Only those associated with a participating department :

Please PM me - I'd like to speak with others and hear their experiences if the trial is already underway in your area -

The idea for this is for the initial expansion of a epi pen type system for seizure patients to maintain at home just as patients that have a known severe allergy carry the epi pens or diabetics with glucagon. The only main issue with it is the problem of controlled substance and high potential for theft/abuse. My understanding is that it would be easier to carry than the current medication (diastat) gel which is very unstable in warm environments and also people are hesitant to give it considering it is a rectal medication (though considerably less likely to be abused/misused than an IM form). Hopefully it will move in that direction.

I'm sorry it isn't clear to me what's being done. Are they adding autoinjector midazolam to the EMT-P kit? This didn't on first glance seem like something that new as intranasal midazolam been here for awhile. Any links to non-youtube info handy?

It's actually a study comparisson of IM auto injector midazolam comparable to the time it takes to establish and access an IV with ativan.

http://rampart.umich.edu/rampart/welcome

this is the actual study site, so perhaps more useful to than the you tube site. I understand LAFD is involved, but I'm not sure of all the other sites - any LAFD people out there?

The problem with an auto-injector is that unless you have close family or close friends with you, you won't get the chance to use it (unless you do so immediately upon feeling an aura).

Starting July 1, 2009 Los Angeles County will have intranasal midazolam in their scope of practice, but not as a test trial.

I'm not aware of an auto-injector trial...the county might be trying it, but I'm not sure how a specific 911 agency here would be involved other than in documenting once they arrive on-scene.

I am fond of the intranasal delivery for anticonvulsants. I do have some questions about a few things and is why I would like input from other participating agencies. It is headed our way and I'd like to chat with some. I've spoken with the lead physician on it and some others, but I'd like to hear how it runs within other services specific to this.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.