COD

What can cause a person to die with their eyes open?

We had a pt DOA sitting in a recliner with two days of rigor, eyes open, legs crossed, still holding his last meal. No meds found in the house; a healthy looking 55 YOM.

What could have happened to this guy? Judging from his position, he seemed to be pretty relaxed when he died. If he asphyxiated I figure he would have uncrossed his legs to change his position. If he blead out, I would think his eyes would close.

Any help?

Thanks!

We had a pt DOA sitting in a recliner with two days of rigor, eyes open, legs crossed, still holding his last meal. No meds found in the house; a healthy looking 55 YOM.

What could have happened to this guy? Judging from his position, he seemed to be pretty relaxed when he died. If he asphyxiated I figure he would have uncrossed his legs to change his position. If he blead out, I would think his eyes would close.

Any help?

Thanks!

So, death by hemorrhagic shock causes somebody to die with their eyes open?

Take care,

chbare.

Most of the dead people I run die with their eyes open. It's rare I find them with their eyes closed, and that's usually when they die in their sleep.

This is part of the rigor mortis process which causes the muscles to contract and stiffen with the chemical changes in the body with death. It tends to affect the smallest muscles first, and then spread throughout the larger muscles. If the body is unable to complete the cycle of muscle contraction, the muscles are stuck in contraction.

Edited by VentMedic

I'd say a sudden onset "silent" cardiac arrest. They die without knowing they are dying, as they have no pain.

If you have access to the autopsy report:

BAC?

Glucose level?

Any other clues?

This is part of the rigor mortis process which causes the muscles to contract and stiffen with the chemical changes in the body with death. It tends to affect the smallest muscles first, and then spread throughout the larger muscles. If the body is unable to complete the cycle of muscle contraction, the muscles are stuck in contraction.

Basically true.

Actually, on a cellular level, rigor occurs when the ATP(the compound muscles use to contract) is not released. You need energy to release that chemical bond and in death, that energy does not exist, thus rigor. A funeral director once told me the first muscles to begin to stiffen are actually the jaw muscles.

Basically true.

Actually, on a cellular level, rigor occurs when the ATP(the compound muscles use to contract) is not released. You need energy to release that chemical bond and in death, that energy does not exist, thus rigor. A funeral director once told me the first muscles to begin to stiffen are actually the jaw muscles.

I could have gone into the whole physiology stuff but I have been criticized for talking too technical to "show off".

Edited by VentMedic

I could have gone into the whole physiology stuff but I have been criticized for talking too technical to "show off".

Only by those incapable of showing off... please do not couch your expertise because some people are intimidated by it or jealous of it. If they do not want to read the technical aspect to your posts... they can skip it and read one of spenac's posts *hoping spenac has sense of humor... I do it for the comedy... ;) *

Nice, that all makes sense. Now I think I should have figured that out.

A few days ago we had another DOA who had just begun to rigor, and her eyes were closed but her jaw was locked and her neck was stiffening...confirming what Herbie said.

Thanks for the info folks!

Well, I think that in a forum such as this, the level of education is generally higher than other forums. In this case, a "technical" description seems perfectly appropriate to me- context.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.