UPDATE: Paramedics Suspended Over CPR Incident (Massachusetts)

CBEMT

Is it possible to intubate a baby? Granted, I'm not well versed in ETT's, but what I was told is that you can't insert an ETT into a patient less than 4 feet tall.

Since the patient is referred to as 'a baby', I can only surmise that this patient was less than the requisite 4 feet in height.

• Like 1

Is it possible to intubate a baby? Granted, I'm not well versed in ETT's, but what I was told is that you can't insert an ETT into a patient less than 4 feet tall.

Since the patient is referred to as 'a baby', I can only surmise that this patient was less than the requisite 4 feet in height.

Absolutely, it is possible to intubate an infant. Who told you this, and what was their reasoning?

Take care,

chbare.

I have seen neonates intubated, just not usually in the field. Also, even though I am BLS in NY State, who do not usually intubate anyone, I have never heard of any height restriction for an intubation.

All the babies in an NICU requiring a ventilator have an ETT. The smallest baby I have personallly intubated weighed in at 398 grams. The tube sizes usually start at 2.5 although in rare cases a 2.0 has been used.

Take an NRP course.

Edited by VentMedic

Perhaps this misinformed source was referring to combitubes?

-be safe

This was the same source that referred to 'hyperoxygenation' as 'overbreathing', and 'causing a pneumothorax' as 'giving them a popped lung'.....

This was the same source that referred to 'hyperoxygenation' as 'overbreathing', and 'causing a pneumothorax' as 'giving them a popped lung'.....

Sounds like the Nasty Caroline book. :lol:

Edited by Dustdevil

Transport the child- regardless. Hospitals have the required social services and clergy, etc to deal with a very difficult situation like this. Let them rule out any possible foul play- shaken baby syndrome, abuse, neglect, etc. The parents need to know that everything possible was done for their child and in most cases, merely transporting the child is better than leaving the baby in the home. Don't give the family false hope-explain the probable outcome, but make the effort. Unless it's clearly a crime scene, even with lividity and rigor, bring the child in, and notify the hospital of what you have.

A deceased infant is a special circumstance which is not something you learn from a book. Emotions run high for the family and the rescuers in these cases.

Unless it's clearly a crime scene, even with lividity and rigor, bring the child in, and notify the hospital of what you have.

Exactly what my protocol is. The only exceptions to treatment and transport of kids are "obvious signs of decomposition," bloating, green/black skin, skin slippage, etc.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.