Volunteer Rescue Squad Grant?

As a member of a volunteer rescue squad in North Carolina, we are always dealing with budget restraints and lack of funds. We are in desperate need of new extrication "turnout gear". We use Hurst tools and would like to move towards AMKUS tools. As a volunteer squad we primarily utilize the funds given to us from the county but that monetary value has dropped. How do we go about requesting grants and what steps do I need to take as EMS Capt to acquire these funds? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Risking Our Lives To Save Others

J. Cohan, EMS Capt.

JRS, NC

Contact your state's EMS office, Emergency Management Agency and Fire Commission. They should have plenty of grant programs. I can't say I sympathize, because we have to raise funds too.. But I understand you're point of view.

Assistance to Firefighters Grants. Yeah, I know, you're EMS, but it doesn't matter. PPE is a big winner on those grants, so include every item of turnout gear you want and you've got a good shot at winning.

Getting new extrication tools when you already have working equipment isn't as sure a bet, so make sure your narrative outlines why you're looking to upgrade.

• 3 weeks later...
As a member of a volunteer rescue squad in North Carolina, we are always dealing with budget restraints and lack of funds. We are in desperate need of new extrication "turnout gear". We use Hurst tools and would like to move towards AMKUS tools. As a volunteer squad we primarily utilize the funds given to us from the county but that monetary value has dropped. How do we go about requesting grants and what steps do I need to take as EMS Capt to acquire these funds? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Risking Our Lives To Save Others

J. Cohan, EMS Capt.

JRS, NC

Many of the big corporations have local community grants, such as Walmart, Home Depot, State Farm, etc. You can google 'COMMUNITY GRANTS" and see what comes up or go to the corporate website directly. Also the national firefighters website lists grants available to volunteer EMS Corps. Your organization MUST be excempt under the IRS Code section 501 © (3) otherwise your grant application will be rejected. In most cases there are time limits on the submittal of the grant paperwork and approvals can take up to six months so don't be in a rush to obtain equipment.

If you don't have anyone with grant writing expertise, there several firms that will do it for you at a cost but there is no guarantee that you will get an approval.

Good Luck,

A. Simmons (Bandaid), EMT Training Officer

Chestnut Ridge, NY

As silly as it sounds, "Grant writing for dummies" was an excellant investment for someone like me who knew nothing about grants. While the book is not EMS /Fire specific by anymeans, it has enough insider information on how to avoid common mistakes, it has helped a lot as a starting point.

Of course from there, there is much to do and learn still....but its a great starting point.

Edited by croaker260

If you're buying extrication tools, upgrading, and your HURST is more than 10 years old; you can get an Assistance to Firefighters Grant for rescue equipment for the USFA/DHS.. But check in on that stuff quick, b/c Obama cut FEMA/DHS funding to fire/rescue for 2010. Those are available for any branch of fire/rescue, voluntarily staffed or career. We have gotten several. Right now we're phasing out a rescue pumper, and going with a heavy rescue and retooling completely. We run four HURST tools, on three power units, so we can either work on two cars at once, or each side at once. After the plan is complete, we hope to have a Heavy and Light Rescue; as well as our other services which include Trench, Collapse and Confined Space. You can get a lot of that stuff on DHS Grants b/c of the wide range of use for rescue tools.

Edited by 4c6

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.