Exertional fatigue (new onset)

52 y/o male started having exertional fatigue/SOB 2 days ago. No diaphoresis, no N&V, no chest pain.

PMHx: HTN x 10yrs, tonsillectomy 40+ yrs ago. Pt a retired phone company worker, did mostly home installs of internet stuff. Non smoker, non drinker. Appears appropriate for age.

Family Hx: Father had MI at 51, sister also HTN at young age.

Medication: Enalapril, ASA 81mg daily, Multivitamin.

101_2954.jpg

101_2955.jpg

Pt in no distress.

P38 radial R14 non laboured, Air entry clear bilat, BP 98/60, Temp 37.1, Skin - pale warm dry, Sp02 98% room air

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strip looks like 3rd degree heart block and possibly a bundle branch blocks (rabbits ears QRS)

His sats are good, BP is a wee bit low but I wouldn't be concerned about that, at the most I might put this pt. on O2 depending on how bad his shortness of breath/sats were/got (mainly for psychosematic effect).

Strip looks like 3rd degree heart block and possibly a bundle branch blocks (rabbits ears QRS)

Have a peek at the lead II strip along the bottom again. The QRS complex's that are present do have an associated P wave. Definatly a block.... just not a 3rd degree

This is curious, and a great strip. It looks like a complete heart block. Look closely, you have P waves all over the place. P waves in the T waves, and even a P wave that blends into the QRS on the first complex of the lead II continuous strip.

I think what may throw some people is the fact the QRS morphology changes. First, you have wide QRS complexes, and I suspect a ventricular escape rhythm, then the QRS complexes become narrow as the junction takes over. EDIT: Review the continuous lead II strip.

My assessment at least.

Take care,

chbare.

Edited by chbare

What was done first? The XII lead clearly begins as a complete heart block. The LP 12 strip looks like a second degree heart block Mobitz II. Looks like this guys conduction system could not make up it's mind.

Take care,

chbare.

Cool, you found him in a CHB, then actually caught the conversion to a Mobitz II? How did he do en-route? Do we know the rest of the story?

Take care,

chbare.

Enroute he was as above. No real complaints but easily fatigued with mild exertion ie: stand and pivot to cot.

My tx was limited to: I.V. TKO, and considered ASA.... still kinda thinkin I should have.

Anywhoo.... As far as I know he was headed for a pacemaker. CK-MB & Troponin were negative, the cardiologist was thinking this was not MI induced.