NJ EMS / Paramedics

Is there a way I could get a copy of the NJ Paramedic protocols?

How are medics usually deployed? Are you 911 only? Transfers only? a mix (scheduled 911 & transfer days, you start 911 but if a transfer comes in they pull you from rotation, etc)?

Do you know what starting average pay is NJ?

Is there a union?

How are the benefits?

My wife seems interested in the Jackson, Egg Harbor and surrounding areas for us to live...any suggestions on companies to approach?

how busy is it? Is there a lot of violence? More trauma? More medical? or about equal?

I have worked in an urban setting for quite some time. I apologize for the ton of questions, but trying to as much info as I can before I plunge head first.

Thank you for your time in advance.

DJ

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you don't want to go to jersey, come out to Los Angeles and make some serious $$$$$$$.

I know... I have been told all about NJ EMS...but I have family there...

but out of curiosity, how much is serious money?

Is there a way I could get a copy of the NJ Paramedic protocols?

Paramedics are hospital employees. So protocols vary by hospital as far as I'm aware.

How are medics usually deployed? Are you 911 only? Transfers only? a mix (scheduled 911 & transfer days, you start 911 but if a transfer comes in they pull you from rotation, etc)?

Again, depends on who you work for.

Do you know what starting average pay is NJ?

Not enough to make living and working in New Jersey worth it.

Is there a union?

Depends on where you work.

How are the benefits?

Depends on where you work.

My wife seems interested in the Jackson, Egg Harbor and surrounding areas for us to live...any suggestions on companies to approach?

Pennsylvania isn't too far west. Try there.;)

But if you (or your wife) insist on living in this area, you're going to want to look at AtlantiCare. They operate two hospitals in the Atlantic City area (one Level 2 trauma center and another community hospital) and they recently took over a community hospital in Hammonton. They also operate both 911 and a lot of ground IFT in the Atlantic and Cape May county region.

how busy is it? Is there a lot of violence? More trauma? More medical? or about equal?

Again, depends on where you are. Camden, Trenton and Newark may have more the knife and gun club. Other areas in NJ with which I am (unfortunately) familiar have a steady mix. Summer brings more of everything with the influx of all the tourists and shore traffic.

I have worked in an urban setting for quite some time. I apologize for the ton of questions, but trying to as much info as I can before I plunge head first.

Part of why this site is here is for this very reason. No need to apologize at all! :)

That being said, and please don't take this the wrong way, if you're interested in a serious EMS gig, NJ is NOT the place to look.

I realize this may not be very helpful to you but NJ is not a great place for EMS of any kind. If you're going to be stuck there (for whatever reason), especially the Atlantic City area, you're best bet is to look at AtlantiCare and see if they will be a good fit for you. Otherwise, Pennsylvania (which is only marginally better) is straight west on the Atlantic City Expressway.

Good luck.

-be safe

You can make over 100k a year as a firefighter/medic

Perhaps. You're in LA, right? That $100,000 in LA is lost to the cost of living.

In fact, every cost of living calculator I tried (all easily found via Google) indicated that in order to maintain the same standard of living in the greater LAX metro area one would need to earn up to $35,000 LESS in, say, Atlantic City, NJ.

You can tout your $100,000 a year if you like. But one can earn less and live much better in other places in the country. Never mind not having to deal with traffic, congestion, pollution, crappy public safety departments and Governor Terminator.

Besides, California and New Jersey do have something in common. The vast majority of people who know better are waiting for the earthquake to hit and send each state to the bottom of their respective oceans.

You can make over 100k a year as a firefighter/medic
True. However, my 2400 sq. ft home cost me approx. $180,000.00 in NC. A comparable home in SoCal is approx. 750,000.00. It's all relative.

you don't want to go to jersey, come out to Los Angeles and make some serious $$$$$$$.

Must you always troll?

Did his wife say anything about wanting to be a fireman? Did his wife say anything about a burning desire to move to California? STFU already. You're a broken record that does little more than repeat the same worn out song every day.

If you have nothing constructive or on-topic to contribute to a thread, then simply move on without creating yet more drama.

Edited by Dustdevil

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.