Very Lucky Explosion Survivors

firedoc5

Published: May 28, 2009 10:53 pm

Explosion destroys area home

By KANDACE MCCOY

kandace.mccoy@register-news.com

MT. VERNON — A local couple barely escaped with their lives after their home exploded early Thursday morning.

Jason and Amanda Shehorn, of the 19900 block of North Miller Lake Lane, awoke shortly after 4 a.m. after their house exploded, which officials say was the result of a propane leak under the house. The couple received minor injuries and were treated and released from an area hospital after seeking treatment.

“Everyone thought it was thunder,” said Jason’s father Butch, who lives behind the couple. “I didn’t hear it, but the neighbors said they heard it and people up at Field School said they heard it, too.”

Butch said that his daughter-in-law stated she woke up at midnight and told Jason that she thought she smelled gas. Jason could not detect any odors, Butch said, and the couple went back to sleep.

“It blew the walls out,” Butch said. “It’s a miracle they’re alive.”

Jason and Amanda’s bedroom is located on the north side of the home. When the explosion occurred, a dresser fell near the couple’s bed, blocking the remainder of the roof from collapsing onto them, Butch explained.

According to Jefferson Fire Protection District Chief Mike Huntman, the way the home exploded and burned is typical of a propane gas explosion. Huntman explained propane gas is heavier than air and will go low to the ground, as opposed to natural gas which is lighter than air and will settle higher. When propane gas explodes, it blows from a low point in the structure, which results in a “low burn pattern.”

In addition to JFPD, the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office and Illinois Fire Marshall also responded to the scene. Huntman said the state fire marshall suspects the explosion came from the propane gas leak.

“We can always get another house,” Butch Shehorn said. “If they had been in another part of the house, they would have been done for.”

He added “hundreds” of people have been by his son’s house offering assistance with cleanup. However, he said until the insurance adjuster assesses the damage, cleanup will have to wait.

The house, Huntman said, was a total loss.

I hope the pic turns out. I'm still a novice at that.

I'm sorry if it's not there, but REALLY sorry if it comes up more than once

Thank goodness they're okay. I'd venture to say someone was watching over them that night. I can't believe they have to wait for the insurance adjuster to come assess the damages at that point. Now, they'll not only lose the house but also any other possessions that might have been salvagable but have to sit essentially outside for who knows how long waiting. You've gotta love the red tape.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.