I love kids!

Gypsy

Ok today I'm going to test my kids on some basics. Including lets see if they can figure out a PCR. :: chuckles:: At this point nothing would shock me. I'll let you guys know who gets a shiny sticker and who gets a normal one.

Ok today I'm going to test my kids on some basics. Including lets see if they can figure out a PCR. :: chuckles:: At this point nothing would shock me. I'll let you guys know who gets a shiny sticker and who gets a normal one.

Come on and be nice to the kids. PCR's are far from basic. The one's here were written by a committee that hasn't worked on the road in years, they were then adapted to ePCR for the service by a company that's never even been near a call and finally tinkered with my management with no computer skills. It's a wonder we ever complete them. Better to test the kids on something simple, like medical math. ;)

LOL the forms I have aren't that bad. I also brought in the ones I did in school of all made up stuff. Don't worry no real patient info was used. ( Ok that's not fully true I did make fun of myself in one of them lol) They will get to see a completed one and then a blank one. I think they can do it. If they can learn how to take vitals they can do a report lol.

To think these are 4 year olds!

Having 3 little boys it's really not that surprising. Incredibly cute, though! It's amazing how quickly children can learn things that we as adults have to work to remember. I know I'm not the only one here that never had to study in high school, but in going back for EMT several years post high school, feels like they can barely keep up sometimes. Between the boundless energy and the ability to learn with minimal effort, kids have it made!

I think we have at least one future EMT. This is from today while lining up to go outside. For the penpals that actually know the names: this is the same B and K from the first story.

B bumped her head while standing up to get into the line. Not hard but enough to know she has a head. lol She told K and said her head and neck ( yes drama queen) were hurting. Without missing a beat K reached up and took C spine. Then he told her that on 3 she was to sit down criss cross. I'm trying not to break down laughing at this point.She sat down then he told her on 3 she was to lay down. Not able to hold it any more and laughed, then quickly calmed down and stopped them. Since the rest of the class was lined up by then.

I think I created a good monster. :: chuckles::

Oh and as for the PCRs I took in. My kids can handle a difficulty breathing patient. :) Not sure about trauma. We didn't get to that yet.

Edited by Gypsy

• 2 weeks later...
I'm currently a preschool teacher and my kids never cease to amaze me. This last month the kids have been emailing members of this site with questions and learning more about the EMS system. Today on the playground 3 of the older kids were on the metal fake schoolbus playing "Ambulance". Their names have been shorted to just the first letter for their protection. This is the actually conversation I had with them:

Hearing the kids fake a siren I jump onto the back, "Where are we going guys?"

E.L "Miss Beth we're playing Ambulance and we're going to J's house. He's sick!"

Me,"Oh no what are we going to do?"

B, "We're going to go there and ask him questions and take him to the hospital."

Me,"What questions are we going to ask?"

B, "How does he feel? and what has he eaten? and what was he doing before his mommy called 911."

Me, "Wow those are great questions. What can we do for J?"

K,"We can give him that mask that has the straws that go into your nose. (( nasal canula for those that don't speak 4 year old )) and we can take his blood pressure with that cuff."

B, "We might need to put that needle in his arm because he needs water."

Me, "Oh so an IV you mean?"

B, " ya an IV."

Me, "What else can we do for J?"

E.L, "We might have to put the stickers on his chest to make sure his heart is ok."

Me, "You mean the lifepack?"

E. L., "Ya just to be safe."

Me, "Well he might not need that if he's just sick but you should still take it in just to be ready."

B., "Ya because an EMT and a medic always brings in their stuff so they have everything."

E.L, "After we look J over we're going to put him on the stretcher then drive to the hospital. and we have to call the hospital before we drop him off."

Me, "That's right. We always call on the radio so we don't surprize the hospital. The dont' like surprizes. Well it sounds like you have it all planned out. Good luck!." and I hoped off the "truck".

I love my kids!

That is adorable... I have 3 daughters and there's nothing cuter than seeing them pretend to be grown... Or even when they're not pretending to be grown, they just happen to say things that make them seem so grown up... Besides that those kids in your class know more than some people actually in this field!!!

That is adorable... I have 3 daughters and there's nothing cuter than seeing them pretend to be grown... Or even when they're not pretending to be grown, they just happen to say things that make them seem so grown up... Besides that those kids in your class know more than some people actually in this field!!!

I'm really proud with how much that group learned. They still play ambulance and we're working on getting one them to a firestation to climb around on the fire rescue truck. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.