NBC's new show "TRAUMA"

31 members have voted

1. 1. Based on this teaser trailer, do you get the impression that this will help or hurt the image of EMS?

• Good for EMS image
    • Bad for public image
    • Could be both

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the record, I realize that there is already a thread on this topic from earlier this month.

Naturally, discussion is welcome, but I am more interested in the popular opinion regarding how this makes us look. Please participate in the poll.

For a serious reply though...

A series like this will always be overboard, because they are out for ratings. As a result, it will probably give people the wrong idea about what the EMS profession is about. Showing viewers the world of EMS is not really their job, entertainment is. Some aspect of the series may be good for the EMS, other aspects will not be good. Most of it is just going to be entertainment anyways. Until I see more of the series (which I probably will not watch) I am going with 'Could Be Both'.

G'day

Matt

Still, I wonder what was going through the minds of the producers when they figured it would be acceptable to have the flight medic be a reckless and dangerous person (speeding around the city hitting stuff with his car).

It's no surprise though to find that NBC would rather have a money making opportunity (which will fail when they cancel the show) then to actually set a realistic example of a profession that does have inherent dangers.

It would be a very boring show to watch if they kept it real. Would ER have been as popular if you had to watch an hour of Dr. Green treating URIs and UTIs, fighting with drug seekers, xraying ankle sprains and arguing with insurance people?

I agree, police, hospital, and now EMS shows will always be sensationalized. While I, as an informed individual, understand that what happens on these shows are not true everyday occurrences, I'd still watch it just because these are the types of shows I enjoy.

I watched a few clips and hopefully the whole show won't be as bad those few scenes.

The helicopter crashes may also be a little detrimental to the battle SF General Hosptial (trauma center) has been in to get a helipad. At this time there in no hospital in SF that has helicopter access. The one scene definitely deplays the fear some community leaders and residents have discussed at great length. Some have tried at previous meetings to assure residents that crashes are rare and seldom that devastating but when it is now played out in HD, I'm sure their next meeting after the airing of this show will be interesting.

The other side note is that the movie will now be allowed to be filmed in SF as a dispute was going to relocate "San Francisco" to Canada.

It's all about the drama. I'll probably tune in to see what it's like, but I doubt I'll be a regular viewer. As for how it portrays EMS, think of "Bringing out the Dead", with Nicholas Cage. I enjoyed that movie even though(or because of maybe, LOL) it was pretty dark, but was it really an honest depiction of most EMS providers?

Unless something is done as a documentary, it will always use embellishments and creative license to make it appeal to the masses.

Doc is right- most of the job is routine and does not make for good TV. Where's the excitement of a 90 year old with general weakness for 2 weeks, a nursing home patient with decubitus ulcers, or a 20 year old with a toothache?

People want sex, blood, and gore.

We'll see how the show does with the ratings...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.