More news from Collier County, FL

VentMedic

The comments at the end of the news article are hysterical. It is also embarrassing that this feud continues to be aired in the community paper with the "us against them" crap. Whatever happened to "patient care" and providing quality medical services? It seems some are just out for their own agenda and could care less about the people of Collier County. This whole county has been an embarrassment to FFs and those who are good Paramedics.

Collier EMS leader accuses firefighters of cheating on medication tests

By LIZ FREEMAN (Contact)

Originally published 8:24 p.m., Friday, May 15, 2009

Updated 8:24 p.m., Friday, May 15, 2009

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2009/may/15...ers-cheating-m/

NAPLES — State Emergency Medical Services officials have been contacted concerning Collier County firefighters and paramedics possibly cheating on tests about the medications carried on advanced life support trucks, the county’s EMS medical chief says.

“I notified them as to the exploitation of the testing process so now they are opening an official investigation,” said Dr. Robert Tober, who is in charge of the medications and protocols on the ALS fire trucks.

Tober said he sent an e-mail Friday to the state EMS office and got a call an hour later from the head of the state EMS Bureau, Chief John Bixler, saying a probe would be opened.

State EMS officials couldn’t be reached Friday to confirm that a query is being launched.

Tober said he also sent e-mails to the County Manager’s Office and Collier commissioners raising his concern about the integrity of the test results.

Leo Ochs, deputy county manager, said Friday that he has received such an e-mail.

The testing concerning the medications and usage protocols started about three weeks ago and about 70 firefighters/paramedics have taken the tests at different times because of work schedules.

Tober said he noticed that the results were improving over time. He believes people were coming out of the tests and writing down every question they could remember to pass on to others taking the test later and he said cheat-sheets were used.

“It was obvious to me the questions had been passed around and a training officer was collecting the questions,” he said. “We didn’t expect anywhere near this degree of nonsense. It was a travesty.”

Tober said he used eight different test versions but originally developed four versions. He hasn’t finished grading all the tests.

The medications on the ALS trucks are for stabilizing the heart, to treat people with seizures, for asthma attacks, high blood potassium, low blood sugar and other medical calls.

Tober, as medical director of EMS, developed the advanced life support protocols.

County officials and the fire departments have been at odds in recent years over possible consolidation and the experience level of cross-trained firefighters to offer advanced life support treatment.

Firefighters/paramedics with the cities of Naples and Marco Island were the first to take the tests and nothing stood out with their results.

“My recollection is Marco and (Naples) had fairly standard scores and failure rates,” he said. “I suspect their tests were pretty forthright and honest.”

When firefighters/paramedics with East Naples and North Naples fire departments took the tests, that’s when the results were noticeably different, he said.

“As the tests went on with later groups, the passing rate instead of 66 percent it went up to 80 or 90 percent,” he said. “It was an abrupt change in week two. I suspected a lot of the people had already gotten a lot of the questions.”

Officials with both the North Naples and East Naples fire departments said Friday that Tober hadn’t brought his concerns to them.

“That was the first we’ve heard about it,” North Naples Acting Chief Orly Stolts said. “Dr. Tober certainly didn’t give us a call ahead about anything.”

Stolts said he wasn’t surprised by Tober’s allegation and said his crew members were leery about the test in the first place, after his training officer and those from the other fire departments weren’t allowed to have input on how the tests would be developed.

“He gave us the protocol and we spent six weeks preparing for the test. We dissected it,” Stolts said, adding that his firefighters/paramedics studied hard.

“We were not just going to pass it, we were going to pass it real well,” he said. “Our guys were well-prepared.

“Dr. Tober has been against the ALS program and he has been looking at a way to get rid if it,” he added. “I don’t know. I don’t know what all the allegations are. I don’t know what he is claiming.”

Stolts said he welcomes a state probe.

“If we had anybody who did something wrong, we don’t tolerate that. I think the state needs to be examining him,” Stolts said.

East Naples Fire Chief Doug Dyer said Tober hadn’t come to him with his concerns about the tests.

“It is not true. We did not cheat. We studied our butts off,” Dyer said. “We borrowed the training room at Physicians Regional (hospital) for three days to study with each of the three shifts and there was some shorter sessions.”

Dyer also said some of EMS personnel were intimidating and harassing some of his firefighters while they were taking the tests and he suppressed it.

He said his crew studied hard for the test because they knew something would be used against them, that they would be accused of cheating if they did well or not caring if they did poorly, he said.

“(Our training officer) just grilled us and grilled us and I doubt very seriously North Naples cheated as well,” he said.

He doesn't have to Akroeze. He doesn't work for the FD's, he is a county employee in a supervisiory position. Just like if your Lt. suspected you of cheating.... There would be a investigation. Why warn the suspected cheater of an investigation, if in fact they would be able to get rid of the evidence prior to the inevestigation starting? I say investigate the crap out of every ALS FD department, strip them of their ALS cert and leave it to the professionals who actually provide patient care and transport.

Just like I hope residents in our slice of pie just to the north realize what Lehigh Acres FD is doing. Their budget being cut? Guess what the first thing to go is? EMS goes bye-bye. Their dumping their 5 truck ALS transport system because they will have a deficit. Then with the same mouth, bad mouth our agency as if we're DC EMS, bc we have to pick up their slack. It's time the public realizes just how much the FD's treat EMS as a red-headed step-child.

Ya it's so crazy to have the person whose medical license these idiots operate under to set standards and expect them to be met. Demanding honesty and competence, I mean who does this. Doesn't he know that these FF's only want ALS for the job security? Did he not receive the wink-winks and nudge-nudges at the appropriate time? I mean come on, who forgot to let the Doc in on the joke?!

I hope the IAFF steps in and give it good to this crazy doc.

Yeah, demanding competency is such a crazy concept. How dare him.

I hope the IAFF steps in and give it good to this crazy doc.

Yeah, the IAFF is really interested in quality medical care. Have you even been paying attention to the events in Collier County, like firefighters failing previous tests on the drugs they carry?

Of course not, you just see union firefighters who don't like somebody, so without even looking for facts, you bash the doctor. Brotherhood before the public well being- the IAFF unofficial motto.

Maybe if your hands spent more time holding a book and less time dragging on the ground, you might actually have some credibility here.

Edited by CBEMT

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.