AED/Defib for Infant

I know this is silly, but I saw a baby less than a year old being shocked with a defib on TV. I'm having a complete brain lapse but was wondering if you could shock a baby under 1 yr old?????

AHA's official statement is that they don't have a stance for or against it, since they do not have sufficient evidence to decide, yet. So, they don't have a specific guideline about it. In effect, that turns into: no, we don't shock those under 1 year of age.

A doctor can decide to do it, though, based on what he thinks is best.

AHA's official statement is that they don't have a stance for or against it, since they do not have sufficient evidence to decide, yet. So, they don't have a specific guideline about it. In effect, that turns into: no, we don't shock those under 1 year of age.

A doctor can decide to do it, though, based on what he thinks is best.

Infants are slightly different and those that do get defibrillation or cardioversion will have a known CHD problem or will be in the care of a physician in the ED or ICU. More often than not, the rhythm will be too fast (for reasons other than cardiac), too slow or non existent (unshockable).

Specialized pedi and neo transport teams do have guidelines and protocols for those special situations.

Here is an interesting article that may be a little off topic but one shouldn't be too surprised if they hear of an infant or child with an implantable defibrillator or pacemaker.

I'll post the abstract incase some can not find the full article:

Pacemaker and Defibrillator Therapy in Pediatrics and Congenital Heart Disease

10/01/2008

Terrence Chun

Future Cardiology

Abstract

Pacemakers and defibrillators have a growing use in pediatrics and in patients with congenital heart disease, but they present unique problems and implications for their implantation and follow-up. Congenital and surgically acquired rhythm disturbances are common, but the efficacy of device therapy is not well established in these patient groups. The diversity and complexity of pediatric patients and congenital heart disease make device management a highly individualized art. There are technical issues related to device implantation that have necessitated novel approaches to using leads and device that were not designed with children specifically in mind. The current guidelines and indications for implantable device therapy for children and congenital heart disease are reviewed, as well as some of the specific limitations and problems encountered.

Edited by VentMedic

We were taught not to shock infants. But I believe that in a dire situation, the ends justify the means. I hope that doesn't get my arse in a sling someday, but if I've got a baby coding on me and I've used every option at my disposal, I'll likely begin looking for options that aren't supposed to be at my disposal. I'd just have to take my chances with the EMS board.

If you remember an incident a few years back, there was a paramedic that performed a successful c-section on a woman killed in an mvc. The woman was not workable, but the baby was saved. The paramedic lost his license. That was an unfortunate decision from the EMS board of his state. I am aware that the medic was WAY out of scope, but I believe he made the right decision. It was worth losing the license for.

I know many here will disagree with me on this, but that's okay. That's what a forum is for. Let me have it.

It's not common, but we learnt to defib infants, just with the peadiatric attachments on the paddles and put them on their side and antero lateral postion for the paddles.

God I pray I never have that situation. :huh:

It's not common, but we learnt to defib infants, just with the peadiatric attachments on the paddles and put them on their side and antero lateral postion for the paddles.

God I pray I never have that situation. :huh:

What is antero lateral? I'm assuming it's left or right recumbant?

What is antero lateral? I'm assuming it's left or right recumbant?

Sorry Katie, lack of sleep from night shift makes my typing and brain not work lol, I meant anterior Posterior. *Paddle on front and paddle on back*

Sorry Katie, lack of sleep from night shift makes my typing and brain not work lol, I meant anterior Posterior. *Paddle on front and paddle on back*

I did not know that was how to defib an infant. That is very good information I hope I never use.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.