Need Help With A Needlestick

...But wtf is a "blunt" needle anyhow?

LOL - I wondered that too! Maybe this service reuses their sharps to save costs?

:lol:

Edit: sorry MedicAR- I think we were posting at the same time so I didn't see your answer.

Edited by chaser

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was my initial thought also. Does this service not offer any type of OSHA blood pathogen training or is this not required by your state for certification or recertification? What about all the other infection control aspects of the job and disease exposure accountability?

Arkansas is not an OSHA state. I'm not clear on what that actually means, as I thought all states were "OSHA states" but apparently not. My dad worked construction for 40 years and was a supervisor, he said the only time OSHA gets involved in Arkansas is with a fatality. As for our training, mine was limited eight years ago, but what the noobs get now is practically non-existant.

Exactly what is the purpose of the Infection Control Officer if he does not know the P&P to initiate advisement, testing and treatment options as required within your state or local laws? The clock is ticking on your options if you so choose to follow through.

This is the problem. I believe the purpose of our Infection Control Officer is to be lead to slaughter when something goes wrong. She did initiate advisement and we were on our way to get testing done when the brass put the brakes on. She agrees testing is needed and is working hard to get it done for me. I checked with our primary hospital's Employee Health Director and she said to get tested, but has no sway with our service. The CDC guidelines say to get tested, but they're just guidelines. And finally the State's Department of Health is checking to see how far they can push for me. I should know in the morning. OSHA is next on the list, but I doubt they will be much help.

Also, I've got a lawyer and we will go over this in the morning.

LOL - I wondered that too! Maybe this service reuses their sharps to save costs?

:lol:

Edit: sorry MedicAR- I think we were posting at the same time so I didn't see your answer.

No worries. :lol:

I think that's the only thing we don't do to cut corners!

Good for you Medic AR, I hope you fight this situation tooth and nail. There is no excuse for management to treat you in such a disrespectful manner. I wonder how far this Captain would take things if it was his finger stuck with an uncapped needle. There needs to be a higher standard set for all employees, particularly for the "lowly street medics"

Any options to find a better employer in your area? I assume you don't have a union to go to either?

Good for you Medic AR, I hope you fight this situation tooth and nail. There is no excuse for management to treat you in such a disrespectful manner. I wonder how far this Captain would take things if it was his finger stuck with an uncapped needle. There needs to be a higher standard set for all employees, particularly for the "lowly street medics"

Any options to find a better employer in your area? I assume you don't have a union to go to either?

I'm fighting, but Arkansas is not the most cutting edge state in the union. The Department of Health had to return my call as they didn't know what ot do when I went to them. When they did return the call, it was to tell me to call another worker there. I contacted him and he said his recommendation was to get tested despite the low probability, but he was unaware of any laws that would compel them to do anything for me.

I spoke with a lawyer today. At this point I don't want to say more, but I was told that I am in the right here and to continue the fight. I will.

No other options for employment here outside of Fire Departments and I'm too old to take the civil service exam. I, in all honesty, would be content with washing dishes for six months or a year just to clear my head and come up with a game plan. My wife hates that idea.....

...his recommendation was to get tested despite the low probability, but he was unaware of any laws that would compel them to do anything for me.

Yeah, that's all I was really concerned about, was them getting you tested for future reference. It has to be in a medical record somewhere, not swept under the verbal report rug. So long as that is done, you're taken care of. That means that, if you seroconvert ten years from now, their insurance company is responsible for you, which is the unlikely possibility that you need to have covered.

hard to tell by that image where as it's a syringe. try this one :)

The Army supply system isn't always cutting edge, so I am sure there is a lot of medical technology out there that I am unaware of, so bear with me here. What exactly is the purpose of this thing? And how would you puncture yourself with one simply by reaching into a kit?

The Army supply system isn't always cutting edge, so I am sure there is a lot of medical technology out there that I am unaware of, so bear with me here. What exactly is the purpose of this thing? And how would you puncture yourself with one simply by reaching into a kit?

I have no idea. So I searched google and found this

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6096024.html

A blunt needle connector described herein is used for transferring fluids or medication through compatible injection ports associated with primary, secondary and central lines during intravenous therapy applications. The needle connector provides needle stick protection without recessing the needle in the shield. This feature allows the end-user to better align the injection port to the needle connector and lock the needle to the injection port to eliminate line disconnects. The blunt needle connector also provides for an audible or tactile indication that the latch is secured to the intravenous fitting. This feature makes it easy to distinguish between the open or unlocked and closed or locked position of the latch. In addition, the blunt needle connector provides attachment to an intravenous line without the twisting of the line that is associated with a threaded connector.

Seems to be that they are used for a safer way for drawing medications and fluids to be given to a patient. No sharp pointy objects to be toying around with I suppose. I never seen one in person.

How a person punctures the skin with one, looking at the image I provided, appears it took some effort to do so. Unless we are referring to the wrong implement here. Maybe the OP will clue us in.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.