Education and patient care standards officer

Alright I'll rephrase the question.

What kind of accountability is used at your service?

How do you recieve continuing education?

Who does your medical audits?

Right now at my job I have NO accountability measures AT ALL. I am obvioustly interested in implementing some. Our medical director is a no-go for now (politics... don't ask).

Mobey, without your medical director being on board I'll bet you get no-where. Not trying to discourage you in doing this but the fact of the matter (hated cliche) is, without your medical director on board then you will have a difficult time getting any kind of accountability.

The medical director obviously does not believe in accountability.

One of your medics will have to do something egregious for your medical director to act me thinks. And then the medical director will be forced to act.

Good luck

Current job:

Small company so:

100% run review by management with feedback. Unknown if anything gets run by the service's medical director. CEs are not provided by the company, but that may be something that gets added as we grow.

Old job:

Unknown run review, but it felt like there was only feedback if something was drastically wrong. I can count on one had the number of times I got feed back in a two year period.

CEs provided by book as well as a few classes/events (EVO training, MCI drill, etc) every year. Most of the CEs fell to the responsibility of the employee. Being a full time student at the time, the only thing I had to do was find a refresher since county EMS and NREMT gave me credit for my college courses.

We have a bureau devoted to reviewing run reports for completeness, compliance to medical rules and regulations, as well as departmental rules. We also have a supervisor who pulls random reports for the same reasons. They both work hand in hand with medical control.

Mobey, without your medical director being on board I'll bet you get no-where. Not trying to discourage you in doing this but the fact of the matter (hated cliche) is, without your medical director on board then you will have a difficult time getting any kind of accountability.

The medical director obviously does not believe in accountability.

One of your medics will have to do something egregious for your medical director to act me thinks. And then the medical director will be forced to act.

Good luck

Ya..... I am clutching at straws because I like this town for my kids.... So I am trying to make a change that really is not possible.

Mobey:

Why not contact your NEW provincial medical director, it should be HIS call now with transition .... but if your present medical director is not reviewing PCRS or reviewing practice protocols and policys... your service is not complying with present regs under HDA ... the operative phrase being "ongoing medical audit" as this is a mandatory requirement.

cheers

Edited by tniuqs

We have a division known as Medical Programs. This covers physician medical direction, CQI and clinical education. All CME is provided (some in house courses, some contracted to a 3rd party). We have QI officers as well as training officers that have specific roles in each area. I can try and find the job descriptions for you.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.