Driving over the speed limit

Do I need to make my statement clearer?

lol, nice. Anyways...

This is a ridiculous argument. The "right speed" for a given response depends on so many dynamic factors that they cannot possibly be wrapped up here in one post or position. To say outright that a driver should "never" exceed the speed limit by a certain amount - save recklessness - is silly. Roads differ, conditions differ, ambulances differ, traffic differs, etc etc etc. Have I driven over the speed limit on lots of different types of roads? Absolutely. Does that mean I'm "not a safe driver?" I don't think so.

I think it is fair to say that we are all in favor of safety on the road, and that we should each drive with due regard for the conditions we will face. If you strip this thread down to that, I think it is obvious that we are all pretty much making the same point.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It states in our policy that you can drive 5mph above the speed limit when responding med 2 to a call and that you can drive 10mph above the speed limit when responding med 3 to a call. This also applies for going to the hospital with a patient. On our highways the speed limit is 75mph. Our policy states that we cannot respond med 3 on the highway and that we cannot exceed a speed of 80 mph. But then again, it also depends on who's policy you are following....the old company that used to own you or the knew company. I asked for clarification from my supervisor as to which policies we were following and the only response I got was " Well, it depends." So much for the right hand talking to the left hand on things.

My partner drives like a mad man. It drives me crazy. I spend a lot of time holding onto the oh shiznit bar over the stretcher. Fast starts, hard breaking, excessive speeding and taking turns as fast as possible. A lot of times I've got one hand on the bar and one hand on the pt's shoulder- especially if the pt is obese.

My partner thinks he's the best driver in the world and he can do whatever he wants and will never wreck. I tell him it's not just about him thinking he will never wreck, but everyone else on the road and for God sake please quit throwing me around in the back. He sometimes causes the pts pain and I have to tell him he's hurting them and slow down dammit. Then he knows he's pissed me off and he'll notch it down for awhile. I really can't take it much more.

As far as speeding goes, it has it's place. Here the flow of traffic is usually 10-15 mph more than the posted limit. When I'm driving hot I do 80 on the interstate. Funny thing is that I still get passed by POVs a lot. Driving routine I usually do the speed limit, but will sometimes do 5-10 over. The main thing I think about is keeping it a smooth ride for the ones in the back. That means gradual acceleration, plenty of braking room and smooth turning.

Point is, just be smart about it. Leave the road rage in your POV. Be professional. Speed if you have to, just don't be an idiot.

To any of the above people who say speeding is dangerous etc... you're all right but this is a dynamic process, even in the most controlled scenario I can think of, its still dynamic! If one was to say we could exceed the speed limit by XX MPH anything above that is unsafe we would need to evaluate the exact road, lets say the exact same road with the exact same conditions and I mean EXACT were in 2 different places, say NY and TX ... but NY's top Speed limit is 65 and in Tx's say the Speed limit is 75MPH if they were both driving 85MPh it doesn't look so bad for the TX crew, but OMG the NY crew is driving 20MPH over ... and is "unsafe" what's the real difference ? just the base speed limit ... Speeding is a perspective when it comes to safety and your comfort level. Speeding is loud and clear when you are in your personal vehicle, in an ambulance due regard is what it is.

The formula for kinetic energy is KE= momentum squared / 2*mass so yes speed kills but isn't that relevant ? a person going 4 MPH has a 4 times greater chance of dying than the person going 2 MPH ...

Time and time again, it's been proven that flying to a call, or to the hospital produces negligible benefit to the patient. As speed increases, safety decreases, and the risk factors increase exponentially.

It's not rocket science here people! The faster you drive to a call, or to the hospital increases the risks you're taking not only with yourself, but your partner and the patient you have on board. Then there's the weather conditions, lighting, and the unpredictable reactions of the general public.....

It's hammered in our heads in school; scene safety, personal safety, etc. But when we get behind the wheel of a company vehicle, we try to emulate our favorite NASCAR driver.

I think some of the reasons (that haven't been mentioned here yet), for speeding would also include "ain't MY vehicle". "I'm not paying for the fuel", and "who cares if this POS rig gets tore up? We might end up with a new one then!".

Ultimately, the point that's trying to be made here is; there's no justifiable reason for flying down the road. We're supposed to be HELPING the public, not HURTING them!

Speed limits are just that...a LIMIT on how fast you can drive. They are not merely 'suggestions', nor are they 'challenges'!

It was said in a previous post to this thread: if you want to drive FAST, then go to the local race track and pretend you're Dale Earnhardt, Jr all you want! But back in the 'real world' and on the 'regular streets', pull your head out of your ass and drive like you've got some common sense!

I think you misunderstand my statement, Our policy allows us to exceed the limit by 15. Our training teaches the new medics that in the big top heavy ambulances, weaving in and out of heavy traffic, going at 15 over is counter productive to good patient care in the back.

Gotta call you out there. You tried to make a case against the value of going 15MPH over limit by intermixing "weaving in and out of heavy traffic".

Weaving in and out of heavy traffic is unsafe at pretty much any speed. I think majority of accidents I've responded to involved unsafe lane changes. OF COURSE, weaving is counterproductive to patient care.

My partner drives like a mad man. It drives me crazy. I spend a lot of time holding onto the oh shiznit bar over the stretcher. Fast starts, hard breaking, excessive speeding and taking turns as fast as possible. A lot of times I've got one hand on the bar and one hand on the pt's shoulder- especially if the pt is obese.

My partner thinks he's the best driver in the world and he can do whatever he wants and will never wreck. I tell him it's not just about him thinking he will never wreck, but everyone else on the road and for God sake please quit throwing me around in the back. He sometimes causes the pts pain and I have to tell him he's hurting them and slow down dammit. Then he knows he's pissed me off and he'll notch it down for awhile. I really can't take it much more.

Try the GIBBS Headslap ... instant attention getter.

It will only be a matter of time till he / she seriously injures or kills someone, no one is invincable.

Many operations these days have GPS tracking recording speed and track this could also be another way to convince "buddy" to slow down after a download of info my the manager.

cheers

Gotta call you out there. You tried to make a case against the value of going 15MPH over limit by intermixing "weaving in and out of heavy traffic".

Weaving in and out of heavy traffic is unsafe at pretty much any speed. I think majority of accidents I've responded to involved unsafe lane changes. OF COURSE, weaving is counterproductive to patient care.

Hmmm so what are you "calling me out" on? something we both agree with?

I was simply correcting the accusation that my position against sppeding was some holier than thou rant...not based on common sense.

And while not exactly pert to the discussion at hand, most accidents Ive responded to, like EMS related accidents, involved interstections of one type or another. I think statistically that is true as well, if you factor in all types of intersections, not just lighted or stop sign type intersections.

TNIUGS, care to elaborate the GIBBS head slap?

Edited by croaker260

Hmmm so what are you "calling me out" on? something we both agree with?

Disguising your comment about the dangers of going 15 MPH by throwing in the weaving part.

The weaving part is almost irrelevant to the current discussion.

care to elaborate the GIBBS head slap?

I am a huge fan of the TV series NCIS ... well besides the female actresses are smoking hot !

Gibbs an ex marine is the boss crime busting investigator and when his "probie" steps out of line, a open handed slap to the back of the head "tunes" his sometimes comical #2 in command up, to think about what he is doing and redirect focus.

My father used this correction technique with great success to gain attention and limit wasteful time in meanless conversation, seriously if my partner put me on the floor or threw me around in the back of a gut wagon it would be more akin to the "Wrath of Khan" I just do not tolerate this type of driving that Katiebug describes ... ITS MY LIFE TOO!

cheers

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.