EMT starts association in Indiana

Dustdevil

I know nothing about unions. I know that some of the companies around here have unions and they generally get paid more than I. I'm all for organize too. I agree with dust devil, if we can progress the profession (a term I use loosely, not because we can't be professional) the pay and benefits will follow. First must come the education. How can we justify getting paid more when you can literally get your paramedic in 10 months (including EMT). Then after you pass a test (which I can tell tests you on the ability to take tests and not on how to treat a patient) you can be on your own after just ten preceptor calls.

So what is an EMT/Paramedic to do when you want to make a difference. I don't want to change the profession myself. I couldn't, it would be a waste of my time. But the only thing I can do is get involved. And the only way I know how is searching and trying. It might cost me $300 the first year, but I'll try different places and become involved any way I can. And I know if every medic thought this way, we would actually make a difference.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can we justify getting paid more when you can literally get your paramedic in 10 months weeks (including EMT).

Fixed that for ya.

Welcome to Texas.

Fixed that for ya.

Welcome to Texas.

Damnit, I should have went to Texas instead of wasting a year in core classes and a year in Paramedic school, could have just been a Whacker.

Naa, rather have the education.

I don't know what the solution is, but I too fear unions, all my experiences with them have been negative.

But the sad fact is that here in Georgia, paramedics and Emt's alike are not adequately compensated for what we do. Pay scale is no where near what it needs to be. What with county services offering $9.00 an hour for paramedics and less than 8 for EMTs, its a wonder that anyone is foolish enough to work.

I don't know what the solution is, but I too fear unions, all my experiences with them have been negative.

Is that because you were the employer?

I have never been non-union affiliated since I started EMS, and I have never seen the downside. Remember union dues are not so bad once you get the big raise after negotiations.

Remember union dues are not so bad once you get the big raise after negotiations.

Again, someone seems incapable of understanding that everything is not about your big raise. We are talking about THE PROFESSION, not your raise. And so long as your union keeps telling the public that you are nothing but labour, you are not a professional, and we all lose.

We cant talk about the profession without speaking of the individuals that make up the profession.

A medic making nine bucks an hour doesnt need orginazation, he needs unionization. When he climbs above the poverty line then he can think of orginazation.

Again, someone seems incapable of understanding that everything is not about your big raise. We are talking about THE PROFESSION, not your raise. And so long as your union keeps telling the public that you are nothing but labour, you are not a professional, and we all lose.

Dust: I think I was unclear in this preticular post.

When I brought up raise and union dues they were a pre-rebuttle for what I find to be the most common complaint about unions... The dues.

As far as organization It's like this: A union makes your employer accountable to the way they treat you and what compensation you recieve for doing your job. Only personal gains are realized from union affiliation not professional.

If you are happy with the way you are treated, and recieve adaquate compensation, then a union may not be for you.

Professional gains are realized through an organized group with common goals, eg. research into safer ambulances, needless I.V's, education standards etc etc. This could be an actual association, or just a large group backed by a few doc's..... but it will not be something a union will even look at.

We cant talk about the profession without speaking of the individuals that make up the profession.

A medic making nine bucks an hour doesnt need orginazation, he needs unionization. When he climbs above the poverty line then he can think of orginazation.

It actually has to happen in the reverse order.

Organize --- raise the bar of the profession through education, continuing education standards, squeeze out the whackers, involve groups such as OH&S and Human rights....... THEN ask for proper compensation based on the progression of the profession.

In union negotiations (ya... I am a negotiator) When you ask for the big raise on the first day, it is pretty common for the employer to turn to you and ask "Why... What has changed since last year?"

If you do not have an answer, no $$ for you.

Roger that. I'm not discounting the value of unionisation. And I have no idea what union dues cost. The only unionised job I ever worked, I refused to join the union. And I am lucky enough to live in a free state, where we are not required to join. We have the freedom to associate or not associate with whomever we please without fear of losing our job. I'm just trying to keep the discussion of unions and professional associations separated, because they are not even remotely the same thing.

Edited by Dustdevil

I to have been associated with unions, and not in the ems industry. I do think very positive of them and think they help the worker and not destroy the industry whatever it maybe. I experience has been with the stage hand union fore LA and orange county California, and even though work was not that steady my dues got me some additional benifits as well as generous hourly wages, enough to work part time as a medic until the FD thing took off. So if unions are used well i think that EMS can benifit from them in other parts of the country. Again I work and iive in southern Cali so the IAFF is great for me current situation, but I do understand that is not the case for the rest of ems.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.