24 hour schedules

Sounds confusing to me, but hey, thats just me.

We work 24 on 48 off here in south Georgia. Our call volume varies like a womans mind. One day we are getting slammed and the next shift, peace reigns over the county.

We run two ambulances and a rescue truck, 5 people on shift. We are allowed to sleep after 4 pm provided we've finished any training and station duties. Our director however is a great guy who will allow us to "study" in our bunks if nothing is going on, prior to the offical 4 pm rule.

We are paid for the entire 24 hours.

If we get a long distance transfer, that we are unable to hand off to the local "for profit" transfer services, then we call in another crew who have to option to take the transfer, or cover the station, and we roll with it.

Personally I like this setup, two days off after each shift gives me plenty of time to spend with the wife and kids, like a weekend after each shift, but to be honest, I get bored and work a parttime job with another service that averages about 2 to 4 calls a shift.

Just one mans opinion.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have a good scheduling program or way they schedule 2 crews for 24 hours.

Possible model for us will be 1 day on 72 hours off.

1 Crew as primary amb crew and 2nd as secondary

There will be 1 crew awake from 7a-7p and one crew asleep for those hours and then one crew awake from 7p to 7a and the other crew asleep those same hours.

This will ensure 24 hour coverage.

Anyone have a existing schedule like this.

I work for a county that has a 24hr on and 48 off schedule but I have seen other places with schedules that have the same crew work the same days every week like every Monday and Friday or Tuseday and Thursday. We are not suppost to be in bed until after 4pm during the week but weekends are pretty easy. There are also 24hrs on and 24hrs off which I think is a crazy schedule but some do it. Hope this helps.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.