new to the forum, finished emt-b class's

Do you really get to practice your full EMT skills and assessments when riding the squad? I'm a huge supporter of explorers and try to include them in as much as I can when they show up on calls...but usually the medics they're riding with get to practice their assessments and decision making skills, not the explorer, especially if not an EMT yet.... Just saying, how do you know that you know you're doing everything right when riding along on the squad.

Actually, in our vol. service.... the EMT-B's are loved by our paramedics. We even make more runs than the medics do. (dont take that as being cocky, its just the stats.) I'm not sure what the term "explorer" means in the EMS world, thats the kind of car I drive, and I couldnt think of anything else when registering. Sorry for any confusion

Please dont take this as a start to a P_ssing match, I dont want to step on toes. I just want to learn as much as I can, and modest begginings begin with a simple blow of the horn.

Wow devil, pretty harsh. How is he misleading? I'm not too familiar with volunteer EMS agencies but I would imagine that you get to use your BLS skills from time to time.

I agree, how am I misleading? Its common sense to at least volunteer so you can stay sharp and not forget anything

Oh and by the way dust, I can tell him that because that is what i did and it worked for me. So what is so wrong about me giving help to others?

lol but anyways i do wish you luck Explorer. If you go into the test feeling prepared and with a positive frame of mind you should have no problem passing! :thumbsup:

Edited by bball160

Actually, in our vol. service.... the EMT-B's are loved by our paramedics. We even make more runs than the medics do. (dont take that as being cocky, its just the stats.) I'm not sure what the term "explorer" means in the EMS world, thats the kind of car I drive, and I couldnt think of anything else when registering. Sorry for any confusion

I see. Around here LA (I guess you meant the state) there are a lot of explorers (teens 14-21) who ride out with paramedic squads. They usually get to assist putting O2 on and stuff like that...they mainly do it to ride out on the fire engine, but many times ride on the medic squad just for experience (or if they prefer it).

What I was really trying to get at is how does one know they're good working on the squad if they're not yet an EMT?

Congratulations on the achievement, either way. Just trying to clarify. :)

oh ok, now I see. and I can understand how your explorer kids could get irritating. lol yeah my username, L-A is "Lowell-adams" for the town and township that we're in and explorer is just the car I drive. lol

The town I work in has a vol. service too. and it makes more runs statisticly than the nearest paid FD. does. lol I'm thinking about running with them too since I'm always around, and my hrs vary so much that I end up just hanging around my shop tinkering with stuff half the time when their tones drop. lol What can I say, we're in a very rural area. lol

I finished my EMT-B class february 28th, I passed the final exam with a 100% and passed the praticals with flying colors the first time through. I take my national registry test the 26th (in a week) and i can't help but be REALLY STRESSED and worried about it. does anyone have any advice or anything on the test? is it really that bad of a test? is there any websites that anyone knows of to take practice test i haven't been lucky enough to find any yet!?!