Interesting Syndromes

DartmouthDave

Hello,

I thought that we could start a thread talking about various medical syndromes. I was planning to write about Dressler's syndrome or Restless Leg syndrome. But, I came across this;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_accent_syndrome

I couldn't restrain myself!

DD

Well, wad'ya know! Dis be sumpin I's gonna take up with me posse, from toity toid and toid.

Actually, when I have patients suffering injuries from either a fall, or something fell on them, I refer to it as "F. D. G. B. Syndrome..."Fall Down, Go BOOM!"

(That is more or less a quote of the Tweety Bird, referring to yet another calamity befalling Sylvester the cat!)

I really enjoyed reading about this syndrome. LOL I have never heard of it. I'm from the West originally and now live in the south. I get made fun of constantly for the way I say some words due to the two dialects mixing. Maybe I could use this syndrome as an excuse? :) lol

Hello,

Here is an other interesting one; Clumsy Hand Syndrome.

Clumsy hand syndrome

Dysarthria-clumsy hand syndrome is characterized by the combination of facial weakness, severe dysarthria, and dysphagia, with mild hand weakness and clumsiness (Fisher, 1967, 1982). Occasionally, some weakness of the arm or leg is present (Mohr, 1998; Tuhrim, 1982). Fisher described dysarthria-clumsy hand syndrome as a variant of ataxic hemiparesis, with the same localizing import. Dysarthria-clumsy hand syndrome is found in 2-16% of all lacunar syndromes (Donnan, 1982).

In Fisher's initial pathologic description, a lacuna was found in the upper paramedian base of the pons (Fisher, 1967). In CT-based reports, lesions have been found in the internal capsule and in the junction between the capsule and corona radiata (Donnan, 1982). Other etiologies causing this syndrome include pontine (Tuhrim, 1982) and putaminal hemorrhage (Mori, 1985). Overall, the prognosis is favorable (Mohr, 1998).

Saw this my last block with a dementia/lacunar stroke patient.

Some reading for those interested;

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1163029-overview

Also, saw this syndrome with a 3rd years nursing student working on her IV skills. =)

DD

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.