What do you do with an off duty EMS person that gets a DUI?

itku2er

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They usually end up in dispatch until their license clears...

That isnt really an option here because 911 does their own thing.

I agree with checking with your insurer. If you're lucky, they set stringent enough standards that you can let them be the bad guys, sparing you from having to write any policy at all.

Check with insurer as dust suggested, they may not write insurance for him as a driver anymore. If you do not have a policy in place that addresses the situation, you may be stuck with him in an alternate roll, or as the roll of permanent "tech".

You and spenac and dust are on the right track there but they still want it in black and white so there will not be the problems as in the past. With this one getting by with that and no form of structure.

Edited by itku2er

The general policies of both the last service I was with and the Fire Department was; if you got a DWI/DUI/OUIL (or whatever your local/state calls it), you're automatically dismissed. Once you've done your 'waiting period (somewhere around 7 years), you may reapply, but it's on a 'case by case' basis.

My company has an actual policy that says that if you get a DUI while on your own personal time, then you are fired. They have a zero tolerance for it. In the state I live in you have to report it to DHS and I believe, although not certain, that the state pulls your cert. Again, I'm not certain on the last one. But I know for certain that my company fires that employee.

My company has an actual policy that says that if you get a DUI while on your own personal time, then you are fired. They have a zero tolerance for it. In the state I live in you have to report it to DHS and I believe, although not certain, that the state pulls your cert. Again, I'm not certain on the last one. But I know for certain that my company fires that employee.

also if you job requires you to hold a driving licence you will be sacked for frustrating your contract ... in the Uk they wouldn;t be able to get insurance even when the driving ban expires

Edited by zippyRN

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.