DNR Identification

Eileen Brady

The EMS survey questions were written by Pasco County Florida Firefighter's.

Wow. You went to some highly educated medico-legal experts for your information, didn't you!

Why don't you get your firemonkeys to do your next pelvic exam too.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bracelet or not... you still need the written documentation, signed for a valid DNR to be in order.

I wouldn't be too political about it. You could explain the procedure, while starting CPR, and send your partner to call medical command. Explain the situation, and more than likely you'll be allowed to go along with their wishes.

EMS: We won't let you take your life, and we won't let you stay dead. Oh snap. :spell:

I don't get the argument. I believe she addresses the issue of documentation with the legislation.

This is a freaking great idea.

Aren't you sick of hearing, "Do I have to make a copy of that every time they go out"? Yes. Yes you do. But they don't. Many of those NH people would rather prolong someone's suffering than add to their own list of things to do. I won't threadjack this with my contempt for nursing homes. I am saying that I'm for the idea and I will support it.

If Joe Blow wants to wear a DNR bracelet as some sort of macabre fashion statement, then he is too stupid to be worth resus anyway. One or two of those in the news would stop that fad in its tracks.

I'm not completely opposed to some sort of marker for communicable diseases either. NH aren't real quick to share that little tidbit either, are they?

This has been discussed before. But reguardless without a paper copy its not valid. If you do not have a durable DNR order signed by the patient or POA and a MD must sign it or its not legal. What comes to my mind is well the bracelets are cute, what if people get them because they are cute and dont really want to be a DNR.

Naw, depends on your protocols. Like mentioned if you get an official DNR bracelet, it's honorable in CA. It won't be mistaken for as regular jewelry by the patient though.

Well, to be honest, the only problem I have with the idea is that it involves firemonkeys.

Fair enough. But remember, a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters for a million years will eventually type the great American novel.

I agree 100% that fire and EMS don't belong together. By the same token, I know some great fire medics. So I can't bash everything they say without thinking it through.

Without getting into that debate here, I shall only reaffirm my position that this is a great idea.

...I know some great fire medics. So I can't bash everything they say without thinking it through.

I understand that. But trust me, if you lived in South Florida (where the OP is talking about), you'd feel different. ;)

I like the idea of wearing the bracelet whether just that is valid or not. It gets you to remember for the dnr paper if you see that bracelet.

We like to keep everything the same or try and think how it will work. We don't know, just because one state it worked one way doesn't mean it will work that way in a different state. That is what NJ suffers form let all the other states make the mistakes and we'll just sit here and say see I told you so! Crazy stuff. We haven't moved forward in years because of that. Hek we can even make up our minds if we want to continue giving the Natl emt test instead of just the state test. ugh! Everything has to be soo hard, Not! Everyone makes mistakes and here we are waiting till there are no more mistakes from the other states, well we have a long long time, Because even the wonderful docs make mistakes. Were all human! :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.