Personal Equipment Pack

brentoli

Ok, so I don't want to sound too wackerish here, but this really is something everyone should have. I will admit, I don't and it worries me at times.

You should be prepared to be self sustaining for 72 hours following a disaster or other incident.

What all does everyone have (or think you should have) in your 72 hour kit? How is it assembled? Is it transportable, or are you prepared for a shelter in place only?

What about a personal medical kit? I'm not talking about the whacker stop on the side of the road and beable to setup a mini-hospital for the overturned greyhound bus. How do you have a kit stocked for you and your immediate family needs?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having just experienced all this first hand I may be able to offer some assistance.

-Non perishable food.

-Personal medications.

-Toiletries.

-Torch with batteries.

-Portable radio with batteries.

-Bottles of water.

As for your medical kit, not an essential part but I guess dressings to stop any major bleeding, band aids and saline. I think everything else can wait until ems arrive.

This should be enough to keep you smelling good, feed, hydrated and up to speed with what ever event is unfolding.

It also depends on what situation your faced with? Flood, fires, storms ect?

Kit needs to include your prescription meds and some over the counter meds. Depending on disaster as we saw in Katrina people could be alone for some time don't want to be w/o. I have an external frame backpack with a few pairs of socks and underwear and a change of cothes. I have meds that I rotate frequently. I do have first aid equipment including some pain meds but not like the zombie killer. I have a small tarp. I keep several ziplock freezer bags. Some large trash bags. My sleeping bag. I keep some food and water as well as a water straw filter. With my kit I can provide basic shelter and food and medical care for my family. I also have knives and a pistol. If we have to survive in the desert surrounding where we live I can survive off the land until help arrives. It is easily carried. I can not recall all thats in it but rest assured it is always handy if we have to rush out in the night.

Ok, so I don't want to sound too wackerish here, but this really is something everyone should have. I will admit, I don't and it worries me at times.

You should be prepared to be self sustaining for 72 hours following a disaster or other incident.

What all does everyone have (or think you should have) in your 72 hour kit? How is it assembled? Is it transportable, or are you prepared for a shelter in place only?

What about a personal medical kit? I'm not talking about the whacker stop on the side of the road and beable to setup a mini-hospital for the overturned greyhound bus. How do you have a kit stocked for you and your immediate family needs?

I have alot of general over-the-counter meds such as antihistimines and decongestants and aleve. I don't like taking meds but if a disaster comes in my area, I don't want a sinus infection kicking my butt too on top of things. I got alot of the stuff onsale.. such as a couple large bottles of contact solution and case with extra contacts. I also have a couple older pair of script glasses and reading glasses. For water, I keep several extra camel back bags in the lower part of the fridge and rotate them every week so the water is kept fresh. The camelback itself stays in the back seat of my truck and goes to work with me. Thgink about everything you do over the course of the day and take the appropriate steps. I got several MREs from a local surplus place.. kinda pricey but will worth the price if something ever happens. Ohh.. by the way.... if you save the zippered pouches that the blood pressure cuffs come in, they work great for organizing your kit. I have a couple dozen that have been accumulated over the years. One has rolled up toliet paper in sealed ziplock bags. I'm a big fan of the sealed bags and have some OCD issues in organization that might actually benefit me in this case. I have several types of bandaids and kling/rollergauze with saline "bullets" and peroxide, etc. I know some folks can successfully get everything in one bag/pack etc. Mine has four different bags/packs that can all be carried/hauled by myself without difficulty. I have three LED flashlights and one 3-D cell maglight with extra D batteries and double A. Those batteries also support the AMFM Radio. I have an extra battery for my F/D radio on the charger at all times and also have an aviation radio in the back (bought from "Sporty's" that has a double A battery pack. I am also a private pilot so this purchase wasn't an extravagant after I thought about it awhile. The clothing pack has triple underwear, socks, moleskin (ask your local wildland firefighter), a couple tshirts and long sleeved winter shirts, an extra belt and two different kinds of winter hats (you loose alot upstairs as I'm sure you know). I dunno if mobile/cell phones will work in the event of some disasters but I also carry an extra battery for the blackberry (verizon is damn proud of the price on those) which also helps as I can use it as a modem to go online with the laptop. My fifth wheel RV has a solar panel on top to recharge the 12 v marine batteries and the inverter gives me enough 120v to run a few things if I don't get carried away. I try and keep extra gas and oil onhand for the generator.

I know I got carreied away on your request. Hope it helped some just to see another approach. Ohhh.. btw... I know its not politically correct to talk abut some subjects but l also keep three different firearms ready to take with and enough ammuntion to "last awhile." I do think of myself as a doomsday type person at all... just try and couple a few hobbies with 'being prepared," thats all. Have a great day. If anyone would like to expand on that subject away from the board, I'd be happy to visit awhile.

flapsdwn@aol.com

I mainly just have stocked water bottles (that I rotate out) and some canned food. Fewer amounts than I should of each.

Carry the water in my car (I'll most likely be closer to my car than my house in a disaster).

Also, recommend first aid kit with basic trauma stuff. At least for earthquakes (here in CA), injuries are mainly going to be lacerations, fractures, and such injuries from things falling (buildings, shelves, glass).

And while they recommend 72 hours, realistically, it's going to be a lot more than that, ESPECIALLY if it's unexpected (like earthquake versus hurricane). 1-2 weeks seems more realistic for a major event.

• 3 weeks later...

Personal 72 Hour Pack (I am a Member of our State DOD Search and Rescue Agency so I bit more that most folks)

-2 Uniforms

-Field Jacket

-2 MREs

-Load Bearing vest w/Camelback and the following:

-Flashlight w/ Red Filter

-Compass

-Work Gloves

-VHF/ UHF Combo Radio w/ Public Safety Frequencies

- Personal First Aid Kit

-Leatherman Wave Multitool

-1 Man Tent

-Sleeping bag

Medical Kit (Statpacks Perfusion Style, w/ Drug Kit & Airway Roll)

Main Compartment

---------------------

Adult BVM 1

12” x 30” Trauma Dressing 1

60” x 90” Burn Sheet 1

8” x 10” Sterile Combine Pad 2

5” x 9” Sterile Combine Pad 3

SAM Splint 2

2” ACE Wrap 1

3” ACE Wrap 1

4” ACE Wrap 1

1” x 3” Bandages Box of 100

Quick Clot 1

Triangular Bandage 2

Space Blanket 1

Traffic Vest 1

Drug Kit (See Below)

Airway Compartment

------------------------

Trauma Gown 1

Airway Roll (see below)

Top Compartment

---------------------

EMT Pouch (See Below)

Thermometer w/ Shields 1

Glucometer Kit 1

Note pad w/ Pen 1

Broselow Tape 1

BP Kit 1

Field Guide 1

Irrigation Saline (250 mL Bottle) 1

Right Compartment

-----------------------

OB Kit 1

Patient Assessment Guide 1

Gloves 50 Pair

Trauma Glasses 1

Biohazard Bags 20

Left Compartment

---------------------

2” Sterile Gauze Rolls 2

3” Sterile Gauze Rolls 2

4” Sterile Gauze Rolls 2

6” Sterile Gauze Rolls 2

2” x 2” Sterile Gauze Pad 20

3” x 3” Sterile Gauze Pad 20

4” x 4” Sterile Gauze Pad 20

Sterile Gauze Eye Pad 4

Cold Pack 2

Hot Pack 2

Alcohol Prep Pad 20

Iodine Prep Pad 20

Adult C-Collar 1 (Multi Size)

Child C-Collar 1 (Multi Size)

Latex Free 2” Tape 1

Drug Kit

--------

Glucose

Eye Wash

Ammonia Inhalants

Alco-Screen

Actidose

Aspitin

Acetaminophen

Naproxen

Ibuprofen

Airway Roll

-------------

MAC 1 1

MAC 2 1

MAC 3 1

MAC 4 1

MILLER 0 1

MILLER 1 1

MILLER 2 1

MILLER 3 1

Adult Magill Forceps 1

Child Magill Forceps 1

Medium Handle 1

OPA Set 1

NPA Set 1

CPR Mask (Adult/ Child) 1

EMT Pouch

------------

Trauma Shears

Buck Knife

Pen Light

Stright Kelly Forceps 3

Curved Kelly Forceps 1

The main pack is a ALICE Pack holds everything but my tactical vest.

My ALICE Pack, Tactical Vest, and Medical Bag live in the back of my Jeep, I do take the Medical Bag on the ambulance when working so I have my stethoscope and such. I also keep my climbing bag with my 72 hour pack in the event we get called on a mountain rescue. I also keep a clipboard with state PCRs, Refusals, and all my State Defense paperwork. I think this is a bit more than most people need for just a 72 hour pack, but I can handle a MVC until Fire or EMS get on scene. I have an IV kit that only goes in my bag for State Deployments and is kept in a locked box in my apartment otherwise.

Here are Photos of my Medical Bag Set Up http://gallery.me.com/ghanthorn/100186

Edited by RomeViking09

Rome nice first response kit. But this case we are talking about a kit for your personal survival if you are in a disaster. Though I do see you could treat friends and family with it if needed. I would suggest you add more food and water to the kit as in a disaster it may be sveral days before you can get food and water.

We are coming to the hurricane season, and the New York City Office of Emergency Management always encourages everyone in coastal areas, like mine, to have a "Go" bag, should the order to evacuate come in. I'll supply the suggested items link on request.

My issue is, they tell us if the order comes in, we'll have something along the lines of 72 hours notice to "Get out of Dodge". Where I live, I have to drive to the Aqueduct Racetrack, to meet up with the busses that are supposed to then move us evacuees to the "host" area.

Now, when you realize the number of people that are going to be moved, and each has some variant of a "go" box or bag, that is going to be a lot of room needed, especially if this is going to be done in a route or school bus. Something, or someone, is going to be thrown off, to make room for evacuees.

I mention a bit of history: When the Long Island Lighting Company (LILCo) was planning to open the Shoreham Nuclear Power Station, the plan called for some evacuees to go to the Nassau (County) Coliseum, home of the New York Islanders hockey team, other teams, and the Ringling Brothers Circus when they are in town.

Here is the problem: The Coliseum wouldn't accept any evacuees IF A SCHEDULED EVENT WAS IN PROGRESS! Shoreham couldn't spring an atomic leak if the circus was in town.

Damn! All hail the almighty dollar!

Thank God the Shoreham plant never opened (I have other information on how a "problem" at Shoreham would have been addressed by EMS crews, but that is another topic and string).

Back to Aqueduct, now. In NOLA, for Katrina, someone forgot to tell the school bus drivers they were supposed to get into their busses, and pick up evacuees to move them out of the danger area, famously stranding all those people at the Superdome. That is an enclosed structure. Aqueduct is wide open, exposed to winds, and possible blown glass panels from it's "roof".

For the eastern end of the Rockaways, the site is the Belmont Racetrack, of "Belmont Stakes" triple crown fame, which the Rockaways, an area of Queens County, are expected to share with coastal areas of western Nassau County. For those who don't know the area, all roads leading out of the potentially impacted areas leading to Belmont Racetrack, with the big blue "Coastal Evacuation Route" signs along the way, are the routes that flooded during the 1993 "Nor'easter". Great, the evac routes are going to be underwater when we need them.

Edited by Richard B the EMT

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.