Help with Impact 754 Eagle Transport Ventilator

spenac

Thanks everyone. Once I finish clinicals I am going to have to sit down and get these tools figured out. Vent thanks for the PM. I will contact when I get where I have enough time to actually study and learn it properly.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't advise anyone to use the Autovent, the Carevent or any ATV for CCT.

Some have and some have failed miserably. Although, I can't blame the machine totally for the failure. In some cases it was the providers who didn't recognize their patient and the ventilator weren't compatible during the transport.

Once again the RRTs agree, Carevent, Autovent or for that matter the Oxylog (the OZ demonstrated a large percentage of exhalation block failures, I personally had one @ 28 Thousand feet ) none of these vents I would suggest any operation in purchasing. The inspitation time on any Volume ventilator and not fully compreheding the interactions can in itself be a very serious concern, And as if I would ever put this on a child .... NO way.

My question is this ... Why with the increased use of CPAP or Bi Level support (my vote) in EMS do companys spend so much on a device that is SO limted, and old technology in the first place, instead of purchasing one ventilator that can do it all ... my personal favourate is LTV for transports as pressure control ventilation is becoming more of the norm with adults and Paeds.

The scariest thing about this whole thread is handing over a ventilator to an EMS provider without proper the background or theory of operation ... Yikes.

cheers and sorry for the late reply ... looks like vent had it covered six ways since sunday anyway.

My question is this ... Why with the increased use of CPAP or Bi Level support (my vote) in EMS do companys spend so much on a device that is SO limted, and old technology in the first place, instead of purchasing one ventilator that can do it all ... my personal favourate is LTV for transports as pressure control ventilation is becoming more of the norm with adults and Paeds.

LTV: If it is good enough for Superman, it is good enough for my patients. We now use the LTV 1200 for both Peds and Adults for in/out of hospital transport. It is so easy to carry we don't always call for an ambulance for transport to and from the airport if the patient is not picked up yet. The hospital shuttle van or a contracted taxi can take us. That spares all those on the ambulances who complain about being used as a taxi. It is also a good way to avoid a lengthy discussion and sometimes argument as to why we don't want L&S.

After a disasterous experience ($250K worth) with the Newport HT-50, one of our largest sub-acutes is going with the Veramed-i and LTVs. The LTVs are perfect for those that want mobility especially the quads. The long term patients do many of our equipment reviews for us. It is almost like test driving a car with a ventilator having many of the same performance characteristics. Unfortunately, many prehospital ventilators can be out performed by a used YUGO.

Of course, I started my transport career with tricked out Servos, PLVs and Birds. Any of those older ventilators still in use can out perform much of the stuff on the market today...they just don't carry as easily.

The LTV is a pretty cool tool although still I prefer Draegers Oxylog 3000. Pretty cool, pretty small, able to do nearly everything;)

Firstly: Thanks for the info on the 3000 ... and the first time I have seen one, many improvements over the 2000 .. btw it (the 2000) had a terrible rep for exhalation block failures (Like I said I had one crap out on a LDT flight ... so just a bit personally jaded) when exhalation block fails it can inflate a small weather balloon.

krumel ... do you know the cost of the new 3000 ? as the only drawback from LTV for EMS tansport is that its worth about 20 + G here.

Unlike the LTV (a turbine powered .. oh yea :D ) the old Oxylog 2000 required a compressed Oxygen source for the drive mechanism (a venturi device) one can get higher flows on an FiO2 of .4 than 1.0 has this changed ... I did not see that in the literature, (dont think so) so your duration could be limited by amout of O2 on board, not a battery or plug into inverter.

The LTV has a turbine and can generate much higher flows if required, Ti % and Slope can also be adjusted with the LTV and one can hear the turbine "step up" which is very, very cool.

With the LTV 02 can be blended internally with a 50 psi source OR just 'T'ed" in for those with minimal oxygen reqirements (most helpful on very LTD flights or trips on board regular airlines on repat returns across the big ponds) when going from on board tanks, to truck, to portable's, a very nice feature indead.

I sure would like to do some bench testing on the 3OOO do you have any links to dealers / reps in Canada ? It appears that Draeger is trying to compete ... thats all good.

cheers and thanks

ps the reps seldom change the lock outs from factory settings especially in the CV 4 ... the access code is usually 012345 or 12345 .... te he my bad ?

The 3000 is "old" here...We got it since 2000 or so;)

The new "toy" we got is the 2000+...New, improved 2000 with an "real display", much more "shock resistant"...But afaik not yet certified outside the EU.

Oxylog 3000 is more like the Evita 4 ICU Respirator than the 2000, both in handling and the way it works.... But I like it pretty much, its easy to use, very very strong and long lasting.... (And believe me, I was in vvvvvvveeeeeeeerrrryyy bad situations with it...)

I would guess it cost about 22.000 USD...But don't know for sure.

Copied from the draeger website:

Draeger Medical Canada Inc.

120 East Beaver Creek Road,

Suite 104

Richmond Hill, Ontario

L4B 4V1

Canada

Business Support

Phone: 905.763.3702

Toll Free 1.866.343.CARE

Fax: 905.763.1890

Email: canada.support@draeger.com

Sales Support

Email: sales_dmci@draeger.com

Service Support

Email: service_dmci@draeger.com

Oxylog 3000 is more like the Evita 4 ICU Respirator than the 2000, both in handling and the way it works.... But I like it pretty much, its easy to use, very very strong and long lasting.... (And believe me, I was in vvvvvvveeeeeeeerrrryyy bad situations with it...)

Neither of those ventilators are in ANY WAY close to the Evita series. Not in flow, sensitivity, demand valve action or modes. The Evita series are excellent but still have problematic exhalation blocks.

That is like comparing a Ferrari to a moped.

The reason providers need to know what their machine is capable of, and not just the pretty settings or knobs, is not all the ICU ventilator numbers will translate the same to a transport ventilator. Some will even say "But I put the same numbers into the machine". Everything I mentioned can be different and you will have to know how to get the most out of whatever technology you are using or you might as well use the BVM...which isn't always the best for the patient either.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.