Whats the go with HEMS in the states?

BushyFromOz

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When she climbed aboard a medevac helicopter in Charles County in September, emergency medical technician Tonya Mallard had no helmet, no flame-retardant flight suit and virtually no training. Hold the patient's hand and listen to the flight paramedic, a colleague told her over the roar of chopper blades.

To be honest with you, Vent. I absolutely do not understand that. In order to provide pt care on a helicopter, you have to go through so much training. But on a service with one medical crew member, that is not necessarily so. Some things just don't make sense to me.

I think in order to understand the Maryland phenomenon you have to live here. I personally don't see a problem letting the privates compete, especially since MSP provides an inferior level of service. They provide one cross trained Trooper/Paramedic and function more as a very fast taxi than a high level care provider. The guys that fly for MSP are good, but their model seriously hampers the capability to provide a high level of care.

Things to consider about Maryland:

It is one of the richest states in the country. Our last one billion dollar deficit is a pittance when you compare it to other state's current financial problems. Meanwhile the overall global economic downturn doesn't cause near the damage here as it would elsewhere. Our economy is very service oriented, with a large, if not the majority, of those services focused on the government (military, etc) and scientific sector.

There is an enormous about of brain washing that goes on in this state. MSP has done an excellent job over the years of convincing every voting taxpayer that they have this awesome system. The state seems to flaunt their 8+ helicopter fleet as this grandiose model of fiscal waste.

Marylander's are accustomed to paying higher taxes for higher levels of service. From our roads to our fire departments, government has always been "big" in Maryland. The idea of a private entity controlling anything is just out-of-the-question.

So what does the committee recommend?

The state, during one of the worst global recessions in 80 years, wants to buy 3 brand new helicopters next year at a rough cost of $60 million dollars. Cut one or two bases. Add two pilots to each aircraft, add TAWS and night vision capabilities, and, if the money is available, meet CAMTS accreditation by adding a second paramedic. All of these changes are necessary, but I have some reservations about completely shutting out the private industry.

If MSP continues with replacing the entire fleet they will be the largest government purchaser of helicopters in the U.S. after the United States Government. Think about it.

Whatever happens the system needs to be patient focused. I'm just not sure that is what this has all been about.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.