Which Lanes For Multiple-lane Emergent Travel?

robert gift

On Interstates and multiple-lane divided highways, is it best to travel in lane :2: , or straddle the line between lanes |1 :2: ?

Lanes are numbered from inside (center or median) out. |1 :2:3:4|

In the US, the law requests that vehicles move right.

So I try to travel in |1 :

But frequently, |1 : vehicles will move left onto the median shoulder.

This is understandable because those drivers can easily see how far over they can go and it is easier than changing lanes right, possibly into other vehicles.

(Changing lanes, especially to the right, is the most feared driving maneuver. Parallel parking is the second most feared maneuver.)

The EV benefits by not travelling on possible shoulder debris to pass |1 : vehicles which are trying to move right.

|1 : vehicles on the shoulder force me to move right.

:2: vehicles will usually move right towards :3:

So rather than |1 : vehicles changing an entire lane to :2:, they move towards the median and:2: vehicles move right.

This opens a path for the EV much more quickly since no one needs to find an opening to change into the other lane.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

All the CEVO (Controlled Emergency Vehicle Operations) classes I have taken state that when there are multiple lanes of traffic traveling in the same direction, an emergency vehicle running lights and sirens should travel in the lane farthest to the left allowing for other traffic to move right towards the shoulder. This is also done to avoid the necessity of quick maneuvers when vehicles are on the right shoulder.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the CEVO (Controlled Emergency Vehicle Operations) classes I have taken state that when there are multiple lanes of traffic traveling in the same direction, an emergency vehicle running lights and sirens should travel in the lane farthest to the left allowing for other traffic to move right towards the shoulder. This is also done to avoid the necessity of quick maneuvers when vehicles are on the right shoulder.

The problem is that some vehicles will head left to the left shoulder.

It seems that when one driver moves left, others follow. (Perhaps because when the EV moves right to pass that left vehicle,

others see the EV to the right and are influenced to move left.)

Sitting on the left side of the vehicle, a driver can more easily see what is left of him and how far left he can go.

The most feared driving maneuver is changing lanes to the right.

One cannot see as well, cannot judge clearance as well, and is more worried about moving into other vehicles.

Moving left is much easier.

Also, I would rather not roll tires on the shoulder where they more easily pick up nails and debris.

Better to move right and remain on the travelled portion of the pavement.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.