According to Incident Command who is in charge by a MVA?

ghurty

My agency operates under the ICS guidelines but as most departments have, we have implemented our own version of the system. When our agency is dispatched to a MVA or any call, the first arriving engine which is staffed with a Captain, Sergeant, and (3) Firefighters, the Captain has command, until he or she is properly relieved by the Battalion Chief on shift.

Anyone can establish command at the scene, it doesn't necesarily have to be someone of rank or even someone with the agency who is responsible for the area.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My agency operates under the ICS guidelines but as most departments have, we have implemented our own version of the system. When our agency is dispatched to a MVA or any call, the first arriving engine which is staffed with a Captain, Sergeant, and (3) Firefighters, the Captain has command, until he or she is properly relieved by the Battalion Chief on shift.

Well, I hate to ruin your sense of individuality, but that kind of arrangement is exactly what ICS is about. Granted under ICS one of the firefighters could have command, but the idea of passing command is ICS to a T.

The NIMS ICS design is becoming a standard in many states. It depends on the level of emergency. Some emergencies fall under federal regulations and whatever structure designated by the feds applies. Some emergencies fall under state regulations and whatever structure designated by the state applies. To keep it simple, most situations fall under county or city juristictions and therefore local policies apply. Every county and city """Should""" have a pre-designated plan and chain of command structure drawn up and implimented. Should being the operative word. Check local ordinance and be familiar with it. Since you asked that question, I'm assuming you might need to do that. Here's the funny part. In Texas, the highest authority in an emergency, in a county or city, is the county Judge. Usually someone with no emergency training whatsoever. Rarely is that authority abdicated to the judge, but it is there for the taking, should you get a judge with control issues.

If my understanding of the law is incorrect, please let me know.

jimmy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.