Time for MAST to tighten belt

CBEMT

Both the ambulance service and firefighters currently respond to many medical incidents in Kansas City. It’s a high level of care, but it is also extremely expensive. In tight economic times, changes must be closely evaluated.

The options include a Fire Department takeover of the emergency medical responsibilities from the Metropolitan Ambulance Services Trust.

http://www.kansascity.com/340/story/101987...ments_Container

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes and no, LA County FD is not hurting financially and is a great model for county/city EMS, they do not charge for there services directly, and allow the private ambulance companies to bill the patient.

But they suck as far as actual medical care unless I am confused that is our primary concern.

FAIL! While the delegation from a Physician to a physician extender such as a Paramedic is a key component of how EMS is practices in North America, if you have limited your scope of understanding to your protocols, you are a skill monkey, not a medical professional. Since you're not a medical professional I'm not sure you're qualified to judge on what makes an effective EMS system.

Plus if you actually believe that FD should take over so MAST only needs BLS for transport and that LA has a great system to model from I question your perspective or lack thereof. I'd suggest you make an attempt to educate yourself and remain open to seeing where you are in error.

And that's where the lack of perspective comes in. Look beyond the trade schools and 120 hr wonders in the US and you'll see systems that work. Hell look within your own country and shake the wheat from the chaff and you'll find some excellent Paramedic education programs that turn out competent, professional providers. They're just choked by a sea of mediocre shit training.

Examples of proper education for EMS.

Ontario, Canada

Primary Care Paramedic (PCP) - BLS 2 yrs of education

Advanced Care Paramedic (ACP) - ALS 1 further year of education

Critical Care Paramedic (CCP) - ALS 2 further years of education (Air or Land CCTU only)

Alberta, Canada

PCP - 1 yr education

ACP - 2 yrs education

Other provinces similar variations on the above, but I'm less familiar with their standards. Refer to the Paramedic Association of Canada's National Occupational Competency Profile for more info.

Australia

Bachelor of Paramedic Science - 3 year university degree

Great Britain

Couldn't find non-wiki info; Degreed education

So yes if you continue to accept unacceptable levels of education EMS will never be more than a stepping stone. But if you look outside your own backyard (or look closely at where EMS works within your own country) you'll find that EMS is a very different profession than you realized with a great deal of potential. It just needs to stop being held back by those within it. I won't argue this point much further as a quick search of the forums will find the many equine carcasses of battles long past. I encourage you to read at least one of them and see what you can learn.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.