Non-transporting ALS or ALS chase

• 3 weeks later...
as far as medical direction my department has it's own MD, as well as the county of Los Angeles has it's own MD, so lots of oversite, so it when people say LA is all messed up, if that were the case with all our medical direction /commitees and so forth things have not been so drastic in my opinion or those who have the pay grade to make changes if infact change is warranted.

Medical oversite through reading run reports doesn't mean crap if you're making up what you write on the run report. If hospital complaints rarely actually get to the medical director, rather just the paramedic crew themselves or the station captain. Think about it...how much could you get away with...people regularly do.

Medical oversite through reading run reports doesn't mean crap if you're making up what you write on the run report. If hospital complaints rarely actually get to the medical director, rather just the paramedic crew themselves or the station captain. Think about it...how much could you get away with...people regularly do.

Well, heck. We're talking about a county where the standing orders prior to base hospital contact can be written on an entire two pages.

http://ems.dhs.lacounty.gov/policies/Ref800/806-1.pdf

I believe it was only 1 page until very recently.

Also, note how many rounds of epinephrine and atropine you can give prior to calling base and asking for orders: ONE.

And can someone find how much albuterol you give a two year-old with wheezing? (Whoops)

• 7 months later...

A lot of medics in Southern NJ operate this way. They have their own "Paramedic Unit" Which is tipically like a Ford Expedition or a Chevy Suburban or what have you. It's very common, usually when I see a paramedic ambulance i'm like WTF? You just get used to having the ambulance as a BLS unit and the medic unit for ALS.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

In NJ, all ALS units are required to be affiliated with a hospital. Therefore, they generally are not primary 911 transport units except for in a few of the major cities (Newark, Jersey City, Camden, etc.). BLS units on calls that require medics are generally met on scene or are intercepted by non-transporting ALS units operating out of SUVs. Some medic units are capable of transport but generally still just ride in the BLS unit. The only time I've seen them transport a patient was at a MVC where mutual aid would have otherwise been needed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.