Constables Fired Over Drowning Response

Christopher.Collins

This is the most recent of ongoing news from my hometown involving two cops I know. Frankly though I think alot of information is missing from these news reports. Im not denying that it happened but I have always known both officers to be if anything, too proffesional. Westbrook, CT like many other towns in the state have a part time police force (made up of constables) that is supervised by the state police.

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/news_ap_Westb...ed_200901220830

Constables Fired Over

Drowning Response

Last Edited: Thursday, 22 Jan 2009, 8:38 AM EST

Created On: Thursday, 22 Jan 2009, 8:33 AM EST

Westbrook (WTNH) - Westbrook's first selectman has fired two town constables accused of not acting quickly enough on the reported unusual behavior of an elderly woman who was found dead the next day.

First Selectman Noel Bishop fired Constables Robert Powers and Rhea Milardo on Wednesday, a week after the Board of Selectmen agreed to impose disciplinary action.

Sixty-eight-year-old Elsie White accidentally drowned at a local beach last June.

The constables were placed on paid leave in October pending a state police investigation into whether they displayed a lack of urgency in responding the night before White's body was found, when the town's tax collector reported seeing a woman acting strangely.

Powers declined to comment and Milardo could not be reached for comment.

I havnt seen either officer in a couple of years as I had moved out of my hometown in '07. Im not aquanted with all the facts but I can say that the media is either ommiting something or not being told something. I have never known either officer to be short of proffesional. Hell Ive received a ticket because of one officer over something really stupid, thats how proffesional. As former Westbrook FD and Westbrook EMS Id like to hear the dispatch recordings also. I wont make accusations but it just has being thrown under the bus written all over it, considering the town itself is being sued.

Id also like to know who the supervising state trooper was on duty during that shift.

As the saying goes, there are always 2 sides to a story. Being in the field we work in, how in the world would anyone be able to EVER know what it is you are responding to. We've all had calls where you assumed the worst and it turned out to be nothing but a hangnail as well as the complete opposite where the pt's arrested yet it came as an alpha response. There is no way to know and those articles can NEVER be trusted. I wouldn't be one to pass judgement on this one. Wasn't there, didn't get the info given and chances are the info provided in the article has nothing to do with what actually happend.