bariatric ambulances

mshow00

I am putting together a presentation to turn into my boss about either buying, or retrofitting an old rig into a bariatric ambulance. I have found all kinds of stats online about obesity, but I am now looking for information on the cost of buying verus retrofitting and I can not find it anywhere online or here on the city. I would also like to open this up a little and if you or your company has a bariatric rig: how do you like it, what kind of maintence issues do you face and what kind of cost with them, have they lowered the number/severity of back injuries, have you seen a difference in workman's comp pay-out, and anything else you can share about it. Thanks in advance.

PS If you want to PM me that is fine too.

The cheapest (notice I didn't say best) thing to do is to centre mount a bariatric cot in a double stretcher ambulance. Obviously the best solution is a custom built bariatric unit with ramps, winch, powerlift cot, etc.. I have no idea how much a custom unit costs. My service deals with very few patients too large for a regular car. On the rare ocasion we do deal with a patient this large they are either placed on a bariatric cot centre-mounted in a double stretcher unit, or they are placed in the back on a manta mat (sans cot). Let's just say we make liberal use of fire-fighters in moving these patients.

My former commercial service had one, and also a NICU unit. Honestly I dont know alot of the financial logistics behind it but I can tell you how it was equiped if that helps at all.

Its a modular Type III rig on an E series chassis.

Interrior: handrails on the sides at the patient level and reach, sometimes even the barriatric stretcher is too small and they kinda roll/flop around and need something to grasp, a winch is located under the command seat to pull the stretcher in and ease it out. Mid floor mounted stretcher locking mechanisms

Stretcher: Stryker Barriatric Stretcher. It has mountable rails that allow for easy pushing and pulling while the stretcher is at ground level. Collapsable mid mounted side rails that slide out for extra hands when lifting. Not sure off hand the weight of the stretcher or the weight it can hold while collapsed or raised.

Exterior: one large compartment designated for barriatric accessories (ramps, stretcher handles), mounts for stretcher ramps (simmilar to what you buy for your pickup truck) at back doors. Ramps are moderatley easy assembly for one person so the other tech can remain with the patient.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.