New Ambulance National Design Standards: Who Decides?

SDMedic

So, I just read this on the JEMS website (I work as an Editorial Intern for them) and I thought it was a pretty thought-provoking article - especially to hear some responses from the people who may actually be riding in them.

Who do you want developing new ambulance design standards for apparatus to be bought by the federal government: the National Fire Protection Association, who has a history of setting design standards, or the American Ambulance Association, who deal strictly with ambulances?

http://www.jems.com/news_and_articles/arti...w_standard.html

An interesting article. I personally don't care who would make the standard, either would work. One thing that I didn't really see mentioned was that NFPA is NOT a one-size-fits-all code place. Think about it...how many different types of fire departments there are, and how many different types of apparatus. If they were, there'd be one manufacturer and only one engine/ladder/etc. that fit the bill (over exaggeration, I know). They have come up with a lot of safety standards that are excellent for the fire service...and if AAA hasn't done it, why don't they do it, or TEAM UP WITH THEM!

I personally think this is a good idea, all the way around (general concept of idea).