Your patient arrests as you pull up to the ER

akroeze

This is also a great time to add that the idea that EMS does not provide definitive care is the idea that keeps us held back in the world of medicine. We should view ourselves as being a continuum within the health care system, not an entity that dumps our issues onto the hospital doorstep. We are definitive care. We bring certain aspects of the hospital to the patient. It just so happens that we begin definitive care, it just happens that the hospital finishes what we start, for the most part.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is also a great time to add that the idea that EMS does not provide definitive care is the idea that keeps us held back in the world of medicine. We should view ourselves as being a continuum within the health care system, not an entity that dumps our issues onto the hospital doorstep. We are definitive care. We bring certain aspects of the hospital to the patient. It just so happens that we begin definitive care, it just happens that the hospital finishes what we start, for the most part.
That is what I was trying to get across. Apparently not to well. I mean, I don't just dump pt.'s at the ED. I will/do treat pt.'s within my boundaries to the best of my abilities.

This is also a great time to add that the idea that EMS does not provide definitive care is the idea that keeps us held back in the world of medicine.

You know what's really funny? The same people who like to think that paramedics are the same as a nurse or RT are the same people who run when ever given a tough choice or a pat on the back. Too many paramedics want all of the toys and none of the responsibility.

:bs:

So, a paramedic gives a patient IV Dextrose, and brings said patient out of insulin shock. A very life threatening condition, that if left untreated, will be sure to lead to death. Now, and EMT Basic, who cannot give IV Dextrose must take said patient to 'definitive care'. When the patient arrives at said "definitive care" the patient will be given IV Dextrose.

Lets look at the equation.

IV Dextrose = Definitive Care.

Paramedics administer IV Dextrose.

So with the rule of substitution, we can conclude that...

Paramedics administer definitive care.

so paramedics can cure diabetes? whoda thought?

giving dextrose is supportive care, curing their diabetes would be definitive.

Spelled Pronunciation [di-fin-i-tiv]

–adjective 1. most reliable or complete, as of a text, author, criticism, study, or the like: the definitive biography of Andrew Jackson.

2. serving to define, fix, or specify definitely: to clarify with a definitive statement.

3. having its fixed and final form; providing a solution or final answer; satisfying all criteria: the definitive treatment for an infection; a definitive answer to a dilemma

D50 is definitive treatment for hypoglycemia. Now, sure, the patient might need observation and a good meal after their sugar is raised, but then that's treatment for diabetes, not hypoglycemia.

Someone is apparently wandering through a woman's hair...

Never heard of walking into a forest and being lost for the TRESS before.

Unfortunately in an attempt to get through the forest I think you must keep walking into the tress as you are making the SAME mistake.

tniuqs wrote:

but then again how could you without proper information with such just a genaric query

– it’s genEric for god sake!!!!!

When offering a grammar p3wn, it really helps if you edit for your own grammar/spelling/usage mistakes first...

Just sayin'.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

(EMTCity Apprentice Grammar-Nazi)

Quake mind if I use that ?

te he

Of Course go ahead. The first time I saw CPR performed on a "Live" pt. the way the chest deflected reminded me of a kid on a trampoline, only instead of fabric and springs, ribs and skin, and instead of a kid, well a 200 pound firefighter dripping sweat like a tropical downpour.

Honestly, I think a few people here may need to kiss and make up. Grammar and Spelling have nothing to do with the purpose of this thread. I know some people have perfect spelling and their trip sheets must look fantastic, but for the rest of us.....theres spell check and electronic PCRs

Sure, grammar and spelling are not the focus of this thread. Simply pointing out that those who wish to slam others for spelling or grammar errors should first examine their own writing carefully. Presentation is everything, and a misspelled word can be so distracting that one can literally become completely sidetracked from an argument that is otherwise well constructed and thought out.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

You are at the ER as I see it. If the person arrests you start the appropriate algorhythm and then move in to the ER. This is a witnessed arrest, why are we even arguing about working or not working this one?

Just start the code, get your first shocks or cycle of cpr and meds in and tube in the truck if you can and then once you have that done you can move into the resusc room.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.