Political Action in Oklahoma

I come to EMS with some political experience. I have used that experience to help put line medics first in the remaking of EMS in Oklahoma. I have seven bills that are being introduced this session at the Capital. I have started a website to help inform line medics for political action. Please take a look and see what we are doing. If you have any suggestions please let me know. You can also sign up for our emails and follow what is happening in Oklahoma. The site is Medic Institute

Just wondering, since I have never been to Oklahoma: Why arent volunteer EMS agencies used in these areas that cant afford ambulance service ? Why hasn't the legislature created some kind of new tax to help fund these areas (could tax alcohol, cigs, increase user fees for drivers/hunting/fishing/professional/ or business licenses) ? Do these areas that dont have ambulance service, also not have police and fire coverage -- can those personnel not be cross-trained to be dual providers ?

I am obviously new to this site, but born and raised in Oklahoma and proud of it. I have also served as a volunteer basic and now a full-time paramedic.

The Oklahoma EMS system is a mess. Yes a lot of smaller communities utilize volunteer services. The problem is most small communities are shrinking in size, and lack the people needed to run the service. Most small volunteer services utilize people who were born and raised in those communities. Their children leave the family farm/small town and never return. It is sad, but a fact of life. Also, the ever increasing amount of training required to become an EMT is killing our volunteer services. People have lives of their own, and less time to dedicate.

Yes, most communities have volunteer fire departments. I think I read somewhere there 600 volunteer fire departments in Oklahoma. Most of the people involved want nothing to do with an ambulance service. Monetary issues are often the excuse.

I have never understood how our small communities always find the $$ to support police and fire departments, but draw the line when it comes to EMS. Police and fire are zero $$ generating entities, but if the ambulance service does not at least break even, the city council will shutter the doors as quick as possible.

There are some ridiculous situations here. Community A will pay the extra tax $$ needed to have and ambulance service, then that ambulance spends most of their time responding to communities B, C, D, and E who are unwilling to do the same.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.