It is not a PVC

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and if it is not an early beat, it is not a P anything... P means premature.... If it has a P wave, it is an aberrantly conducted P wave. (jeez - got into it with an ED physician over this the other day)

It is improper to call ventricular ectopy a "PVC" when the patient's base rhythm is Atrial Fib. The proper terminology is ventricular ectopy. Please start 2009 with the correct terminology.

You are wrong. It all depends on the context.

Sorry, you can not have a premature contraction of any kind in afib.

Afib is a chaotic ryhthm with no rhyme or reason for its QRS's right? Irregularly irregular with no p-waves? So no way anything could be premature as nothing is organized? Remember I am a student so am I right?

Sorry, you can not have a premature contraction of any kind in afib.

Sure you can. Think about it.

........./............../............/......../........./............../......M..../..........

There is A-fib. The M signifies a premature contracutre of the ventricles. The ventricular complex occurred prematurly because its occurrence in time is before the next ventricular complex conducted through the AV node. Of course, using this logic, it could also be classified as a ventricular escape complex.

Ha :P :twisted:

:lol:

For something to be called premature, the underlying rhythm MUST BE regular. A-fib by definition is not regular (it's an irregular irregularity). I agree with crotchity..... there is no such thing as a "PVC" in A-Fib, only ventricular ectopy.