Excessive police force and medical care

paramedicmike

There was a case not 3 weeks ago here where some [police shot a crazed 15 y/o who was threatening them with some knives. Given the option of shooting or getting in close with a batton, they shot him (capsicum spray did not work on this nut case) Of course the arm chair generals out there were very quick to say that tasers are not the answer "police training is", they were branded trigger happy and everything else under the sun. Was even said that tasers kill almost as many people as fire arms.

I know which one id rather get shot with.

There was a similar case a few years in So Cal (Huntington Beach). Before this case tasers were only assigned to supervisors. Well, a teenage girl with psychiatric issues lost control and was threatening police with kitchen knives. While the police were waiting for a taser to show up the girl lunged at the officers forcing them to rely on lethal force.

News story:

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/homep...cle_1255662.php

Uncalled for public outrage: http://www.topix.com/forum/city/huntington...8GOKQA8HE4LB14C

A note about the story, the hospital that the girl was transported to is not a trauma center so she was essentially killed instantly. Also the police were cleared by the investigation into the incident.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few years ago, I had been called to the local ER to transport a psych patient to a 'more appropriate facility. On arrival, we found the observation room completely in shambles, and the patient in 4 point restraints.

As I approached the patient, I was spit on, verbally abused, as well as threatened. Needless to say, I called for security to assist transferring the patient to the cot. During the transfer, the patient was able to inflict some injury to myself and my partner.

It goes without saying, that the patient was transported in restraints. On arrival to the recieving facility, the charge nurse demanded to know why the patient was in restraints, and in some rather 'colorful language', proceeded to tell my partner and myself that restraints weren't necessary, and she didn't care WHO ordered them. She went on to DEMAND an IMMEDIATE discontinuation of the restraints.

I would've told her that the transferring physician is responsible for the method of transfer. What she thinks is irrelevant. Here's his number, call him and ask why the patient has been in 4-points since before the transfer.

"Oh- could I speak to your supervisor please? I think they might be interested as to the attitude and professionalism their staff display in front of patients and visitors."