You have responded to a "Rape"

1) Do you keep it strictly about medical questions, with long periods of silence after those questions are answered ?

I would probably keep it focused on necessary medical questions. More than likely, the patient will not want to talk to me, but if they do, I will listen.

2) Do you make any compassionate statements ?

Meh...interesting question. I doubt there will be a need for compassionate statements. The patient will need to know that I am there to care for them in any way possible. The patient guides what any responses to their questions will be. If for some reason there is need for a compassionate statement, it may go something like this... "I realize this is a difficult time for you, there is going to be a team of professionals at your disposal to help you within their capability. Please tell me if there is anything I can do to help you."

Telling the patient things such as "Things will be ok," "God loves you," and the like are over the line. If the patient requests you to pray with them, and you are comfortable doing so, then by all means, do so. Keep it general though. Just my thoughts though.

3) Do you offer advice, or do you stay silent out of fear that you may say the wrong thing.

I do not have much advice to offer. I will only answer question if I am capable of doing so. Offering advice is not something that most paramedics are qualified to do. The only advice I could see offering is to tell the patient she should be seen at a hospital to receive treatment for any physical and mental harms, as well as to be tested for STD's, pregnancy, and to consider having a rape kit done to catch the rapist. The advice will be more or less things for her to consider, rather than telling her this is what you should do. It is her choice. Other than the previous statements, there is not much more advice I see to give.

Physically:

Although we do not routinely make an effort to touch a patient, we do commonly touch them on the shoulder or hold a hand when someone is scared (maybe you have even given a patient or family member a hug when it seemed appropriate).

Touching a rape patient will be minimal. Before touching her, I will ask. At this time, the patient is going to probably be threatened by my touch.

4) Do you avoid any and all physical contact with this patient ?

Physical contact should be at a minimum, or so I think.

5) If you do, do you think that maybe the patient feels she is being shunned, and that maybe your lack of conversation and/or touching is because you see her as "dirty" or "tainted" ?

Conversation with the patient needs to be guided by the patient. Let her know that you are willing to talk, if she feels like talking. To make the patient more comfortable, it may be wise for a family member or close friend (the patient's decision) to ride along in the ambulance.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are they even being transported by ambulance in the first place is the question I've always had.

Of course, the answer is the same as it is for many of our patients; because cops love to pawn their dirty work off on us whenever possible.