Work her, or let her float to the light ????????

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a sad indication of the state of EMS in the US that we even have this discussion. Before we go any further, I would like to state that it is NOT my intention to bash all things american. My participation on this website is enough proof of my interest and, to a large extent, my admiration for US EMS. Having said that:

There is no way on earth any educated professional should be working this poor woman. To do so, would, in my opinion constitute assault. If I was family then I would hang you for it too.

Please, please people can we get some perspective here. This poor woman has suffered enough. Do you think she likes being frd through a tube and being changed every few hours. I have never heard anyone say that they find that an acceptable state whist they were still fit and healthy.

We have made great advances in medicine over the last 40 years, it's just a shame that we still don't always know when to stop.

Leave your monitor and airway kit in the truck. Let this woman die with a little dignity, something which she has sorely lacked in the last phase of her life.

WM

My first instinct even in the absence of a DNR would be to contact medical control. More than likely my medical director would not "make us" work this poor woman. Given her past history, what quality of life would she have even if by some act of divine intervention a pulse was restored. Putting her body through the trauma of CPR, is not worth it. I know what I say probably sounds bad, but I have been doing this long enough to know that the chances of getting a pulse restored from asystole is less than 20%.

My first instinct even in the absence of a DNR would be to contact medical control. More than likely my medical director would not "make us" work this poor woman. Given her past history, what quality of life would she have even if by some act of divine intervention a pulse was restored. Putting her body through the trauma of CPR, is not worth it. I know what I say probably sounds bad, but I have been doing this long enough to know that the chances of getting a pulse restored from asystole is less than 20%.

I guess you're right in that under 1% is also less than 20% :)