Needing fire on a cardiac arrest

crazyemt5150

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see how 2 people can effectively run a code for very long. They'd both have to be medics or no ALS would be getting done when the EMTs arms are jello and the medic does compressions. Not to mention effective compressions + ventilations should be two seperate (rotating?)people and again who's doing ALS? (chuck norris!)

I don't think it's a valid excuse to bash fire. Whatever system you're in and however it's configured people need to figure out how to work together rather than continue that argument. Maybe I'll change my tune when I get more experience =)

No, you shouldn't have started driving in the first place. Its one thing if they arrest in transit, but if they are dead on scene, work them till there not dead or call it. I realize local protocal will vary.

we have protocal where we can call on scene but there seems to be a few times where you can transport code 3 to a hospital and they can perform a procedure that is not allowed in the field and possibly get pulses back.... i know there is only a 1% chance but hey thats better than 0 right

Ok so the other night My partner and I were sitting at a post covering our area, and we heard a structure fire go out. As fire arrives on scene they have a working structure on their hands single alarm, fully involved motor home, seconds after that a cardiac arrest goes out in the area. The bat chief arrived on scene and took over there was a total of three engines on scene. Moments later the ambulance crew responding to the cardiac arrest arrived on scene and requested help to work up the cardiac arrest from the fire department. During the process before ECC asked the bat chief, he stated that the motor home is almost burned to the ground and this is going to be a shovel operation. ECC then came up and asked if he could send someone from the structure to assist the ambulance. He came on and said no they needed extra man power, now come on I don't know about you guys but I do think he could of sent at least one firefighter and a engineer to help out. The cardiac arrest was only a couple blocks away and the majority of the crews weren't doing anything and there was only one hydrant. I'm not sure on the standard procedures on structures but I bet you that if that was one of his family members he would of sent someone over to help, Granite it is a luxury having a someone help then the medic doesn't have to juggle compression, ventilations, iv, pushing med's and so forth

i would say i would have to agree if this is a operation that is fully involved i would say maby that a assistance should have been provided....

we have protocal where we can call on scene but there seems to be a few times where you can transport code 3 to a hospital and they can perform a procedure that is not allowed in the field and possibly get pulses back.... i know there is only a 1% chance but hey thats better than 0 right

What procedure?

Are you honestly suggesting that your patient has a prayer in the world of a good outcome after stopping CPR (poor and constantly interrupted chest compressions are worthless) for the 5-15 minutes it takes to get to the hospital?

Are you honestly suggesting that your patient has a prayer in the world of a good outcome after stopping CPR (poor and constantly interrupted chest compressions are worthless) for the 5-15 minutes it takes to get to the hospital?

we dont stop cpr we continue plus if protocol is followed then you have to stop and check for pulses... i have known a few medics that thought the patient never had a chance that got pulses back.... do i think they will ever have a good outcome no.... but you have to give them a change right....

we dont stop cpr we continue plus if protocol is followed then you have to stop and check for pulses... i have known a few medics that thought the patient never had a chance that got pulses back.... do i think they will ever have a good outcome no.... but you have to give them a change right....

Taken ACLS recently?

And how do you not stop CPR? Attempting CPR in the back of a moving ambulance, or on a moving stretcher, is pretty much worthless. It's the same as not attempting CPR at all.

And what do we have to give them change for? I don't normally carry that much cash on me anymore.

-be safe

Taken ACLS recently?

And how do you not stop CPR? Attempting CPR in the back of a moving ambulance, or on a moving stretcher, is pretty much worthless. It's the same as not attempting CPR at all.

And what do we have to give them change for? I don't normally carry that much cash on me anymore.

-be safe

lol my bad a chance hit the wrong key..... but yea i guess cpr in the back of a rig is not the best but i dont know man we have protocol to leave people where they lay if we give it a strong try but i just see that its the little extra effort we have plus im not that far from a hospital so if i was 45 min away im sure my idea of a cardiac arrest might change

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.