Non-Essential employees?

EMTsheri

Very recently, our lovely Mayor announced that due to the city's 20 million dollar deficit, he must find ways to correct his shortcomings...well after having "discussions" with the FOP, Firefighters, and the Teamsters union, he finally came up with demanding "4 non-paid furlow days" (furlow=layoff) for "non-essential" city government employees. Now, explain to me this...how is it that Police and Fire fighters are considered "essential", and yet EMS employees such as EMT'S and Paramedics which ALSO save lives, are considered "Non Essential" to public safety? During these furlow days, our city's coverage will be compromised. Now mind you, Louisville Metro EMS gets dispatched on approximately 100,000 runs each year. Non-Essential my ASS! Pardon me. :x

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is odd that Louisville doesn't make EMS an essential service...Being declared an essential service would prevent you from having the ability to go on strike.

Edit:

As a side note, legislation just passed this year that made EMS an essential service.

Relax, these things have a way of working themselves out, you just need to be ready to pounce when it does. I remember one city that shut down a fire station due to budget woes. There was some complaining about it, but not much. All the leaders, including the fire chief, said it would be OK, we have enough surrounding stations to cover this area. But guess what, 4 days after it was shut down, a cop was shot in that area, and had a 12 minute response from fire, and a 20 minute response from EMS. The media assault was not forgiving, and the city council found money to reopen the station. Just be prepared to show the difference in response times, mutual aid calls, and patient deaths, once you are furloughed.

** But if they choose to truly furlough the non-essential EMS employees: Lt's, Capts, Division Chiefs, billing clerks, and secretaries, I couldnt argue with that decision.

Well... EMTs and paramedics are certainly the lowest paid of all those employees, so obviously they must not be very essential.

On the other hand, if they make the least money, I dunno how the F they think they're going to save any money by laying off the lowest paid workers in the whole equation. Seems to me that maybe making office workers clean up their own friggin work spaces -- like firemen do -- instead of paying janitors at City Hall makes a lot more sense.

Well... EMTs and paramedics are certainly the lowest paid of all those employees, so obviously they must not be very essential.

On the other hand, if they make the least money, I dunno how the F they think they're going to save any money by laying off the lowest paid workers in the whole equation. Seems to me that maybe making office workers clean up their own friggin work spaces -- like firemen do -- instead of paying janitors at City Hall makes a lot more sense.

I brought up that matter and it's a wonder I still have a job. They did not like my way of saving money that would allow us more money for essential services. Guess between reading emails, gossip, donut, coffee, smoking etc there is just no free time to clean up. So I suggested the contract for cleaning should extend to our station then. That did not fly very well either. So guess the janitor for the offices are essential but ems is not.

Thank you for the wise words my friend. Yes, I believe that all of LMEMS employees are being furloughed (sp-thx). I do have a true respect for the administration, but I have to admit that I am more concerned with not having the street coverage for our people in the Louisville area that need our assistance. Every single day we get short of ambulances and lo and behold we get dispatched to a run sometimes even a full arrest, clear across town...literally. We all know that things are going to be pretty rough for awhile... I just think it will be worse than what 'some' are thinking. I hope that because of the city's budget problems and the Mayor making EMS take manditory days off without pay will not compromise peoples health and safety.

When treating cancer, you often have to take chemo, which means you get weak and lose your hair (you suffer to get better). You need to give your mayor a little chemo treatment: transport every patient you can reasonably transport, and let the chips fall where they may.

Now, explain to me this...how is it that Police and Fire fighters are considered "essential", and yet EMS employees such as EMT'S and Paramedics which ALSO save lives, are considered "Non Essential" to public safety? During these furlow days, our city's coverage will be compromised. Now mind you, Louisville Metro EMS gets dispatched on approximately 100,000 runs each year. Non-Essential my ASS! Pardon me. :x

Local media might be interested to hear your side of it. Always helps to get the cameras and pens on your side.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.