Breaking lease for a new job.

AMESEMT

Hey All,

So I got my first paramedic job in Iowa. Right now I am in KC and thus have to move to Ames. Right now I am in the middle of a 12 month lease and will have to break it before I can move. My management company is not that nice and the lease only covers transfers (within a company) to another location. Anyone have any advice on how to get the rental company to allow me to break the lease at only 6 months? I tried to find a job in KC (applied at 5 different companies in the KC area) and no one was hiring. I have student loans coming due soon and I can't afford to stay on my meager hourly wage at the grocery store I work at, so I would not be able to pay rent as well if I stayed in KC. So I applied in Iowa thinking it was way out in left field that I would get the job. But here I am. I was going to explain it all to them and see how nice they will be. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Ames

I would think they will be much easier to work with if you find them a viable new tenant. The less you leaving interrupts their cash flow the kinder they will be.

Over 20 years ago I was able to break my lease after I explained to the manager honestly what was going on. They even refunded my full deposit. Also my depend if they have hard time filling slots.

I hope you kept your own signed copy of your lease as some realtors will do crazy things if the only copy on file is theirs... I've seen leases be altered and passed off as "the original, and yours was exactly like it". Those documents usually have a clause in them covering breaking a lease early. For the apartment that my fiance and I live in with our best friends, we forfeit our deposit and must come up with 2 months rent immediately, OR we can allow the apartment complex to find a new tenant, but must cover full rent until that tenant is found, up to the end of the lease.

Your best bet is to talk to your manager, re-read your lease, and see if you can negotiate a peaceable settlement twixt the both of you. You're not going to get out scot-free with only losing your deposit, I can almost guarantee that, but you might be able to figure out an affordable solution. Don't just bail- they can come after you because you bailed on a legal contract.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

OR

You can forfeit your deposit and BAIL.

Move out, CLEAN..I said CLEAN the place very good and then take pictures and video on the day you leave documenting the condition.

And then hope they NEVER come after you, which they have every right to, but some may not.

I do not advocate this route for everyone, but there have been times in my life where this was my only option and it worked.

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do in order to survive.

(The above action is AFTER you have tried the other methods)

Thanks for all of the advice. My roommate and I talked to the agent this morning and we have worked it out. The apartments are in high demand and if they can get someone in, our lease is null and void once someone rents our apartment. The downside (or plus side) is that it is possible to move out very quickly. We are going to tell them the soonest we can move out and go from there. There is potential to move out without any problems (just forfeiting the $100 deposit).