Example of why we do NOT speed in ambulances...

I have run across so many in my career who think lights and sirens, even if not in use, gives them the right to drive in excess of posted speed limits. Here is a fine example of the consequences of doing such:

http://www.thenewsenterprise.com/cgi-bin/c...127153345053003

Documents: Ambulance was speeding prior to fatal crash

EMS driver being sued along with drunk motorist

By BOB WHITE

bwhite@thenewsenterprise.com

ELIZABETHTOWN – By all recorded accounts, a patient-occupied ambulance was exceeding the posted speed limit last November when it collided with a car occupied by a drunken driver and two passengers.

Two lawsuits filed since the Nov. 24, 2007, DUI crash killed Katrina Polston and injured five others at the intersection of Pine Valley Drive and U.S. 31W claim an ambulance driver was negligent along with the drunken driver.

A recent deposition of Todd Cordell, a witness to the wreck, includes his estimate that the ambulance was traveling southbound on U.S. 31W at about 60 MPH when it struck a car occupied by Polston. The car was driven by Anthony Wayne Benningfield. His wife, Brandie Benningfield, and Polston were also passengers.

A collision report released Tuesday by Elizabethtown police estimates the speed of the ambulance at 65 to 70 MPH at the time of the collision. The ambulance driver, Jason Thomson, was not “running code” — using lights and sirens — prior to the crash, police said. The speed limit along the stretch of U.S. 31W near Pine Valley Drive is 55 MPH, according to Elizabethtown police.

When asked by an attorney if the ambulance could have done more to avoid the wreck, Cordell replied, “Yeah, I think so. If he’d have seen the car coming from 50 feet away like everybody else, I think he could’ve gotten into the right lane.”

Depositions of additional witnesses had not been filed in Hardin Circuit Court as of Thursday.

Thompson continues to work for Hardin County EMS. On Monday, supervisor Ira Dyer said Thompson had “absolutely not” received any disciplinary action since the wreck.

Carl Akin III, a paramedic occupying the ambulance with Thompson and a patient, suffered injuries to his head and wrist. He is suing Anthony Benningfield, 3-Putt Willie’s and others in an attempt to obtain “underinsured motorist benefits.” He did not file a claim against Thompson. Polston’s estate and Bramdoe Benningfield have filed suit against Thompson.

Along with being sued by numerous parties, Benningfield now is serving a combined 32 years imprisonment after pleading guilty to charges relating to the crash and having his probation revoked for using alcohol.

Benningfield had a seven year sentence stemming from a 2004 drug conviction probated prior to the wreck.

Bob White can be reached at (270) 505-1750.

I swear to God the next FTO I have that tells me I need to drive faster than I do emergent or on my way to a call routine, I'm pulling over... Our company policy states no more than 10 mph over posted speed limits not to exceed 45 mph within city limits... and I adhere to it. I also don't enjoy driving 65 on this windy road we have in the county in the dark... not used to handling the ambulance yet, so I won't go faster than I'm comfortable with.

They're not going to die if I don't cut 30 seconds off my trip by speeding. We might if I get into a bad situation I could have avoided.

I don't understand why people don't realize how much of a risk driving the rig really is, regardless of your experience level and comfort level. It's a big shiny box that's top heavy, hard to slow down and NOT YOURS! Why would you drive it like you stole it and expect to never get hurt?

Wendy

CO EMT-B

A recent deposition of Todd Cordell, a witness to the wreck, includes his estimate that the ambulance was traveling southbound on U.S. 31W at about 60 MPH when it struck a car occupied by Polston. The car was driven by Anthony Wayne Benningfield. His wife, Brandie Benningfield, and Polston were also passengers.

A collision report released Tuesday by Elizabethtown police estimates the speed of the ambulance at 65 to 70 MPH at the time of the collision. The ambulance driver, Jason Thomson, was not “running code” — using lights and sirens — prior to the crash, police said. The speed limit along the stretch of U.S. 31W near Pine Valley Drive is 55 MPH, according to Elizabethtown police.

The posted speed limit was 55, he estimated he was doing appx 60, others say 65 to 70. Well within the normal 15 mph over. WTF

Charge the damn drunk, and quit friggin with the paramedic.

Anyone disagree, Deez Nutz

NO NO NO NO NO you do not have the right to run 10-15 miles per hour over the speed limit unless running hot and if you are running hot then you have even more responsibility to the public..

If the paramedic was speeding then charge em. Just because we have a knee jerk reaction in response to one of our brothers or sisters being in the wreck this still does not absolve them from responsibility.

And exactly how many people can honestly say that they don't routinely drive 5 to 10 mph over the speed limit whether in the ambulance or personal vehicles.

Is this relevant when facing the courtroom?

Again, show me the law that allows for the "well within normal 10-15 over" which will absolve you from any responsibility in this situation.

Maybe it is the Long Islander in me, but I was confused about the issue with the speed of 70 in a 55. I guess the speed limit on Long Island is more of a recommendation than law (which probably explains why I didn't get my first speeding ticket until I moved to Michigan). Hell, on the Long Island Expressway, if you are doing 70 you had better be in the right lane with your blinkers on.

And exactly how many people can honestly say that they don't routinely drive 5 to 10 mph over the speed limit whether in the ambulance or personal vehicles.

I don't think we are arguing with your assumption that many of us do that amount over the posted speed limit but does it really matter what everyone does? I guess the old adage "If it's good for the goose it's good for the gander" or "MOMMY, everyone does it" I guess if you want to use that excuse with the lawyers in court in a fatal accident that you as the driver were part of them I guess go for it, we'll see how far that gets ya.

I for one rarely speed, in my personal or ems vehicle, I just don't see the need to go 15 miles per hour or so over the speed limit. I guess I'm never in that big a hurry to get to where I'm goin. but then again that's just me.

Maybe it is the Long Islander in me, but I was confused about the issue with the speed of 70 in a 55. I guess the speed limit on Long Island is more of a recommendation than law (which probably explains why I didn't get my first speeding ticket until I moved to Michigan). Hell, on the Long Island Expressway, if you are doing 70 you had better be in the right lane with your blinkers on.

Same here, if you're doin 60 in a 60 zone every bastard up your ass gettin pissed and trying to pass

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.