Where to Start?!? What School? How Much? Loans?

STRETCHER81

I can't help but feel as though anyone who is truly interested in EMS as a career would manage to find the required information on their own. I agree with Dust that someone who hasn't expressed any interest in medicine prior to the age of 27 is extremely unlikely to be getting into EMS for the right reasons. It really isn't a path you want to start down on a whim. Pay scales in the US tend to suck (pay scales reflect the medic mill programs not the degree programs) and it doesn't exactly promote a healthy family life.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry shoes, i have to disagree. We shouldnt judge as we have no idea what this persons background is-- maybe he has been a cop or volunteer FF, maybe he works as an tech at a hospital. Maybe he went with the career daddy wanted, and has now decided to do what makes him happy. Maybe he has been downsized and is looking for something stable. Regardless, we should answer his questions and not judge him or his motives.

And I think it is a smart move to come here first. If I were thinking about becoming a nurse, my first move would be to talk to nurses, not the school that is going to take my money. There is a great cross section from every type of EMS employer in this room, in several continents -- I cant think of a better place to start with some questions, if you want real answers.

The problem with most medics (like most americans) is they live beyond thier budget and then blame the career. If you make $40k year at any job, you can not afford a $300k house and $600 a month in new car payments -- but most medics and EMTs do exactly that. Then of course, most get a divorce and have to pay child support, which reduces the budget even more. But again, these are all personal choices that screw your life up. EMS is not false-advertising to any of us, the pay is what it is, its not like the promise you $60k and then only pay you $20k.

I absolutely agree with you there. But EMS is false-advertising in another respect, and that was what I was alluding to. Not so much the financial expectations, but the rest of it is a big lie. EMT schools blow a tonne of smoke up their students' arses about what a grand medical professional they are, and how they are going to be saving lives all day long. Then the graduates get out and find the reality that there are damn few real EMS jobs out there for them. And the jobs that they do get do not offer them the excitement or satisfaction they expected from watching too much Turd Watch on the tele. And, of course, they can't afford to go to paramedic school on an EMT salary, so they end up stuck there for the few years they work before moving on to something else.

I'm not blaming the profession for the sorry state of affairs. And I accept full responsibility for my own career decisions. But you are sadly mistaken if you think I am unhappy with my career decision. I am simply experienced, wise, and honest enough to paint people a realistic picture instead of making the job out to be something it is not. And the blame for the state of EMS today falls squarely on the shoulders of those who are in it. People like you who have failed to progress in their professional thinking after two decades, and still disrespect it as nothing more than a quick and easy tech-school job that doesn't require real education or commitment. If the profession were all you make it out to be, you'd still be in it. And had you actually been more committed to it, you may have made a difference in the state of the profession in twenty years.

My scepticism of STRETCHER81's motivations and suitability came from his entrance here. He registered his screen name, then, without ever bothering to read the forum, ran straight to the chatroom to ask for quick, bottom line answers on how to get into EMS. People were more than happy to point him in the right direction, but he didn't want that. He didn't want to read the wealth of information here. He just wanted someone to give him some cookbook recipe for becoming a medic. We all know that it doesn't work that way.

You only get one chance to make a first impression. And my first impression was that he's an impatient, low attention span person who is looking for shortcuts to a profession that he doesn't know enough about to even intelligently choose. I might be wrong about him. But that is the impression he is giving off.

I'm not bitter or trying to run anyone off. There are people on this forum who will testify to the commitment I make to helping and mentoring the next generation of paramedics. But those are people who first demonstrated that they are as committed as I am. If STRETCHER81 has that commitment, he shouldn't have any problem demonstrating it. And, as Crotch said, there is no better place for him to find the information and guidance he needs to succeed than this forum.

Well, as a late comer into EMS, let me say this, if you are coming in for the glamor, for the excitement, for the money, for the glory, or any other misty-eyed emotion, then you are coming into it for the wrong reasons.

It is a medic eat medic profession, with more politics than Washington dreamt of, don't believe me, just read some of the forums. A Alpha male/female dominated profession, and no one it seems can get along with anyone else.

There is nothing, NOTHING, glamorous, or glorified, or wonderful and exciting about getting woken at 3 am to go into some nasty mother stickers house and pick his non-med compliant ass up off the floor, and haul him to the hospital. Wrecked cars have sharp edges, and you get back aches from lifting 400+ lb. land whales, miss holidays, miss meals, not that you could tell it from the average medic, and gray hair comes early.

Did I mention the low pay, piss poor benefits for the most part, and extreme lack of appreciation from both patients and employers?

Look long and hard before you enter this world. Examine your reasons well, before you commit to this.

Having said all that, let me say this, I wouldn't want to work any other profession, note, I said profession, not job.

And don't mind Dust too much, he wishes as most of us do to see this profession progress, and tends to be a bit harsh at first.

Remember this if nothing else, this is a PROFESSION, not a job, slackers and whackers not welcome.

Nuff Said? Probably not

Well I do agree with most of that. But I wouldnt be so quick to judge his rapid entrance, dust. I am an advisor on a travel website, and I see the same thing all of the time; rather than do any reasearch, or even a simple google search, tourist come in with the same question every day "whats the weather like in ABCD in February, or what are the hours/price of this attraction. 90% of the questions could be answered by a quick search on the travel site or on the attraction's website, but this generation likes to communicate more one on one, than we do. I was amazed to watch this younger generation on the cell phone or texting 18 hours out of a 24 hour shift. The wife and I would call once per shift to make sure all was OK for a grand total of 5 minutes--- that was it.

As far as I could have done more to improve EMS, there is alot of truth there. I frequently voiced my disatisfaction, but there was never a collective voice to get anything done (at one of my first 911 jobs, i became the "troublemaker --- the bitcher", and learned the lessons of that mistake. So, I gave up on any industry changes, and just worked on improving my own service, which is what I believe most of us did -- or atleast those who care about their service.

Saying if I cared I would still be doing it --- thats not true at all. I worked my way up to a high level management position with a hospital based 911 service, and then finally quit when they refused to deploy the trucks in a way that would reduce response times below that of a 12 minute average. There wasnt another similar level position in my area open when i left (and they might not have hired me with the reference my last employer would give), so I could either take a $20k paycut and get back on the bus as a medic, or do something else. I had been in EMS since I was 18, and honestly it wasnt as challenging anymore, so I opted for a different route for the second half of my career (i figured if i was going to start over at the bottom, i would do something new). But I do love and miss EMS alot.

I dont fault anyone for giving a "realistic view" of the pros and cons of our profession, but it has been my experience, as stated previously, that many in our profession blame their problems on EMS, instead of looking in the mirror first. Much like a welfare mom blames the "man" because she had 7 babies with 5 different daddies. Is EMS the perfect profession, NO. Is it a rewarding career that pays a fair salary, YES.

But this is enough about our life stories --- until proven otherwise, I believe the OP is sincere, and we should answer his questions. I will be happy to finish the conversation via PM dust, hit me up anytime.

Thats what I thought I was saying, alas, missed again.

My point was that one should examine their reasons for entering EMS, not jump in with both feet and then be shocked when the water is cold.

I left a much better paying job because I had gotten to the point where I would rather see a wolf crouched at the door than go into work.

The pay scale is low, compared to the rest of the medical field, but I'm not starving, nor am I doing without anything that I need. Can I afford everything I want, no, but then again, measure wants against needs.

I have much more time to spend with my family now, even while in paramedic school, and working two jobs. Don't have to travel to Tex-ass anymore either. (sorry Dust, but you can keep it)

One of the problems I see is people assuming that there is glory untold and financial rewards beyond measure awaiting them here, only to have their hopes and dreams dashed on the rock of reality. Then they go off and bad mouth EMS.

It is like anything else in life, do a little research before you go whole hog.

sorry shoes, i have to disagree. We shouldnt judge as we have no idea what this persons background is-- maybe he has been a cop or volunteer FF, maybe he works as an tech at a hospital. Maybe he went with the career daddy wanted, and has now decided to do what makes him happy. Maybe he has been downsized and is looking for something stable. Regardless, we should answer his questions and not judge him or his motives.

And I think it is a smart move to come here first. If I were thinking about becoming a nurse, my first move would be to talk to nurses, not the school that is going to take my money. There is a great cross section from every type of EMS employer in this room, in several continents -- I cant think of a better place to start with some questions, if you want real answers.

You may very well be correct but based on the typical results I've seen that just isn't the case. People who are truly interested in becoming an EMS professional don't ask about finding a school and receiving funding to go there. They ask for opinions on the best paramedic program and why the respondent feels said program is the best.

I am sorry stretcher, got sidetracked and didnt answer the rest of your question. As far as where to go to work, you will need to talk to medics in your area. Sometimes fire is best, sometimes it might be private, or hospital, each geographic area is different. For instance, I believe North Carolina still has alot of volunteer services, which do not pay anything or pay very little. And each market is different, there is demand for EMTbs in some areas, and in others they are shunned like the plague.

Once you do get your EMTI, it is not as hard to go to paramedic school, as you might think. Most schools now offer a paramedic program that rotates on a 24/48 schedule so that you can work your EMT job and go to school (still hard to balance family, bills, class --- but we all did it somehow). Some employers will pay you to go to paramedic school, but again it differs state to state, city to city. So go visit your local station and see what their advice is. Feel free to private message me for any direct questions that you might have.

thats cool shoe, we can agree to disagree --- if the person had a medical background, i believe they would take that path --- but if he has never attended anything past high school and has worked the typical high school graduate jobs, he may not know that schools differ from one place to the other, and that there is a such thing as the "best" school in my area. For all we know, there may not even be a bad school in his area. And i would definitely ask all about the job, from people who were actually doing the job, before i would even start considering a school. But hey, theres a bunch of ways to skin that cat. Tomato - tumatoh

Thankyou all for replying to my post here. I have taken a lot from what you all have wrote! I know what I was going to look like just entering the site and jumping in the chat room to ask some ques. I however didnt have much time and just found the site and was looking to see if anyone wanted to share and possibly continue thru email as I dont have regular access to internet.

No worries on all that, I was expecting some criticism and quite honestly wanted it in every way you all gave it to me!! My main reasons for getting into the field goes as is. Ive been in the airlines for the past 9 years, I was always interested in the medical field. Not doctor but first responder. I dealt w/ a lot of job accidents and did a lot of training to prepare and deal w/ a emergency. No where near the kind of training I am expecting for the Paramedic training, but I am not afraid of committing to it when I decide to go or not. I currently work at a retirement Communnity in Raleigh and regularly call EMS to the job for falls and accidents w/ the residents here. I try to always be there w/ the resident while they're waiting for EMS to come and def. wish I could have the knowledge to help them right there, but all I can do is comfort them and keep them from hurting themselves more.

Im coming into this late at age 27 because the airlines for one, and after I decided to pursue another carreer option, I figured I would get a job that had some relevance to helping people. even though it doesnt have much to do w/ the medical, I am around people that are and can try to make a logical decision to pursue it or not! I have no family here in Raleigh, no wife/kids, girlfriend that loves the fact that I'm looking into this, and a dog.

I'm not doing it for the money, Ive heard both sides, you can make a lot the more training and commitment you put into the carreer, or if I want to just be on the bottom and make what I can. I'm doing it for myself and the satisfaction of trying to be there for someone.

When I got some time after that chat room bust! I did come back and read a lot of posts from other people and the responses, I did answer a lot of my questions, this is true, but I still wanted some personalized messages for what I was looking for.

Once again thankyou all for replying and giving me a lot to think on, any other questions I will be sure to come here first and post again!!