Where to Start?!? What School? How Much? Loans?

STRETCHER81

Hey everyone, I'm at the beginning of my realization that I want to be in this field.... So finding the information is coming along slowly. Hope some of you out there can help point me in the right direction.

My main concern is how I am going to be able to pay for this?!? I have a full time job right now and I want to put my full effort into the EMT/Paramedic. So do they do loans where I can cut my hours and put forth more effort to learning and passing the classes? Or is that how it has to be.... Do what I can with what I got?

I live in Raleigh, NC

Truthfully, that's really my only concern, everything else is just pushing my self to 100% to completing the classes and getting into the job.

Also, should I get with a hospital or fire dept. first to get some training/experience or should I get the minimum certification first then look for a job? Do places usually take people in to train for their loyalty after their training is done?!?

As you can tell, I am clueless, but I do have the desire and passion for helping people and I know this is the route I would like to go. So any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you take a college Paramedic Degree program if your income is low enough there are many loans and grants to cover education and even living expenses. The financial aid department at the college will be your best help.

Welcome to EMTCity, Stretcher81.

As far as being in this field, why?

I'm not trying to dissuade you from it, but what exactly draws you to want to do this for a profession? Are you in the medical field somehow already, or is it something you only read/heard about?

Either way, I'm glad you consider the medical field to be your calling. Are you an EMT yet? If not, that's what needs to be completed first. Getting information from your county emergency health services will probably be the best thing to do. They can help point you in the right direction as far as classes, costs, locations, career info, loans, grants, etc.

Good luck!!! Please feel free to ask anything else you may need some help with. We're here if you need us. 8)

Stretcher 81,

You are in a great area for EMS and Education. If you have not done so, go to the local community college and speak with persons in the EMS department and student aid departments. That would be your best starting position. If you really want to focus on college, just get your significant other to make all the money. :twisted:

I do not have any specific information on the grants you are asking for, but I do have a ton of information about the area and college you are looking at. I sent you a private message. We can continue from there.

I echoe an earlier poster: Make sure this is what you want to do, as it will be a major commitment of time on your part. I cant speak for NC, but in many states it is very difficult for EMTBs to find employment. EMTI makes it easier, but to get the good money, you have to go all the way to Paramedic. Which basically means 3-4 years of school, so EMS is not necessarily a shorter road to a career. I think its a great career, and its getting better every year, but you need to make sure you really want to do this, and for legitimate reasons (I would say the same thing if you were thinking of becoming a nurse, lawyer, doctor, engineer). See if your local agency will let you tour or maybe even third ride --- dont let the negative medics talk you out of it, if it is what you really want (you know what the difference is between a puppy and a paramedic; puppies quit whining after 6 months).

Ditto. It's just like any other college major. There is an entire department at every college devoted solely to finding you financial aid. Although it's a lot easier if you are a minority or single mother, there is still money out there. I doubt that it is the kind of money you are looking for though. If you've got a family to support, then this probably isn't a good idea for you. You'll never make back your investment in this field, much less support them comfortably.

As for your motivations, you need to look deeper and more honestly. The "I want to help people" line is tired and worn out, and usually disingenuous. Everyone says that. Most are lying. There are millions of ways to help people out there that don't involve lights, sirens, and uniforms. Any particular reason why you didn't choose one of them? What specifically is it about EMS that makes you so certain it is what you want?

Your motivation should be this, and this only: The practice of medicine, and the science involved in that practice, should be just absolutely the most interesting, fascinating, and intellectually stimulating thing that you can imagine. And if, at 27 years old, you've never been interested enough in it to take a first aid course or some college biology courses, then that probably is not the case. If you think EMS is a calling, I urge you to forget about it. It's not a calling. It's not a hobby. It is a scientific profession requiring a serious, lifelong commitment to constant, ongoing education in order to be even acceptably competent. It is NOTHING like you imagine from watching a few episodes of Turd Watch. It's usually boring as hell, frustrating, and poverty inducing. You walk away from most shifts feeling like you have not helped anyone. After the initial excitement quickly wears off, it is just a grunt job like any other job.

There are many reasons that few people stay in EMS for even ten years, with the average being much less than that. The primary reason is because they simply have unrealistic visions of what it is all about. If you think it's a calling to help people, that you will ever make a comfortable living at it, that the excitement and satisfaction of "helping people" will keep you motivated forever, or that it is something that can be achieved easily in less than two years, then you too have an unrealistic vision of EMS.

If you want to "help people", join the Salvation Army. If your lifelong dream and passion is medicine, then go to nursing school. If after that, you still think playing with the siren would be fun, then go to paramedic school. But honestly, I'm not convinced you're what we need right yet.

Good luck.

Dustdevil ate too much turkey yesterday. "You will never be able to support your family or make back your investment" ? EMT and Medic school is less than $10k for the whole thing, versus any other degree program that costs tens or hundreds of thousands to complete. What other job can you not earn a degree in and make over $40k to START (that does not involve heavy manual labor) ? Look around, most folks arent doing that well. This job is almost recession proof. This is a great career, but like I warned you, many paramedics are bitter and blame the career, instead of blaming themselves for the decisions and indecisions they made in their life.

Dustdevil ate too much turkey yesterday.

Fark off, arsehole. You don't know me.

What other job can you not earn a degree in and make over $40k to START (that does not involve heavy manual labor) ?

There's the root of your problem. To you, EMS is not a profession. It's just a job, requiring only a minimal commitment or investment. And I fear that is exactly what our new friend believes too. Stupidity is contagious.

Look around, most folks arent doing that well.

If you think $40k is doing well, that's pretty sad. But nurses aides with 120 hours of training are doing just as well.

This is a great career...

If it's so great, why aren't you even in it anymore? And how many medics even make it a career? About 2 percent? The rest move on in less than ten years.

you are correct dust, i do not know you situation at all, and things may be different where you live. EMS afforded me the opportunity to let my wife stay home and raise our kids, while i worked two jobs. Had I become an accountant or nurse or any other profession other than doctor, it would have been difficult to work two jobs, and at that time, nurses were not paid much more than we were. I left the job only after i did 20 years, which led me to a successful sales job, which i would not have gotten were it not for my EMS career.

The problem with most medics (like most americans) is they live beyond thier budget and then blame the career. If you make $40k year at any job, you can not afford a $300k house and $600 a month in new car payments -- but most medics and EMTs do exactly that. Then of course, most get a divorce and have to pay child support, which reduces the budget even more. But again, these are all personal choices that screw your life up. EMS is not false-advertising to any of us, the pay is what it is, its not like the promise you $60k and then only pay you $20k. And the pay level is our fault as well. Services will pay what they have to pay to get people in the door. When we stop working overtime and two jobs, and let the medic shortage show itself, our pay will go up. But as long as you are willing to work the hours and payrate that is out there now, there is no reason to increase wages. If you have two painters that will do an excellent, guaranteed paint job your house for around $2k, why would you pay another painter $6k ? You wouldnt, so dont blame your employer for making the same value judgement that you make whenever you spend your money.

And I dont think i have ever met a CNA that was making over $12/hour, which is only in the low 20s for an annual salary. It could be different elsewhere.

But stretcher, thats why i gave you the heads up about whining medics. You are about to get an earful from people who hate this job, but wont leave it. Why wont they leave it, because they know they could not make any more money in any other profession, with the skills and degree (or lack of degree) that they have; but somehow that is the EMS industries fault, not their own.