Mother causes child's death

cynical_as_hell

In the very beginnign of my ems career, I was quickly tested on all levels. I had one bad pediatric call a week for the first three weeks I was in EMS. The first one, I thought maybe something was wrong with me because for the most part, the call didn't bother me. The second one, ok I was getting stressed and worked up, but was it because of the call, or not being use to the lack of sleep that sometimes comes with EMS?? Maybe it was a combination of both. But the third call is the one that sticks out most to me. I was three weeks into a brand new career, and tones went out at the station for a full code. That's the only information we were given besides address of course. When I got on scene, I saw the firefighters gathered around a table outside and I asked myself "Why are they demonstrating CPR outside?" I walked with my medic up to the group of providers and looked down to find them doing CPR on a four month old baby girl. She was so lacking in color that she had the tone of someone that had been dead for maybe a few days. I was so scared and I practicly froze. My medic went to the ambulance and I went over to her and told her that I needed her help. I didn't know what to do. She guided me and I followed her commands. We transported the child and as soon as we got her into the room and the doctor saw her, he pronounced her. He did the things that are done at that level of care in order to try and save a life, but stated the only reason why he did it was so that they can tell the mother that everything that could be done, was.

The child's only history was a current bronchitis infection that she was seen for the previous day of us being called. And she was premature by one month.

After a few hours my partner called over to the hospital to find out if anything had been discovered as to why the child died. She was informed that mom had accidently rolled over in bed onto the child while she was passed out from taking hydrocodone. The mother was never arrested and to the best of my knowledge, the DA never persued any charges.

My question is Do you think mom should have been charged with the death of her child and why?

spenec,

i changed the entire thing because you are right. I didn't know that my previous topic was already a discussion. Thanks for making me aware of that

No problem, happens to us all.

Pedi calls are the toughest.

Was the mother on current prescription for the hydrocodone or illegally taking it? If legally taking it perhaps better judgement could have been used but would just be tragic accident. If illegal it is murder in my opinion. When you decide to do anything illegal and something bad occurs because of your choice IMHO you are guilty and should be punished.

spenac,

to the best of my knowledge it was prescribed to her. She had just had dome dental work done the previous day. This call was between 9 and 11 a.m. The last time she saw her baby alive was 9 p.m. previous night. She had the child in bed with her for whatever reason, and just fell asleep. When she awoke in the morning, she found her child dead in her bed.

spenac,

to the best of my knowledge it was prescribed to her. She had just had dome dental work done the previous day. This call was between 9 and 11 a.m. The last time she saw her baby alive was 9 p.m. previous night. She had the child in bed with her for whatever reason, and just fell asleep. When she awoke in the morning, she found her child dead in her bed.

Then IMHO she probably thought she would not hear the baby if placed in another room or bed. So wanting to make sure she could take care of her baby she did what many a parent has done placed the child in bed with her. Sadly her choice cost the child its life and I'm sure even if the law did nothing the mother has punished herself more than any court could.

Speaking of compassion, what would be accomplished by jailing the mother? Preventing her from otherwise rushing out and doing it again unless she's restrained? Who would rightfully gain?

i don't feel that jailing the mother would accomplish anything other than using up resources in the criminal system. This mother will pay the ultimate price for the rest of her life. To have to live with the fact that you are the reason why your child isn't alive....that's a horrible thing to have to live with