EMS in the Obama Administration

UMSTUDENT

So it's one of those "insert laugh here" jokes. I'm afraid I just don't get it.

What was your interpretation? I'm not emotionally attached to the comment, I just want to know the intention behind the words typed.

It was a funny insult. I thought you were making a dumb firemonkey comment, but you've since proven you're not a troll.

Context of comment: We get the occasional firemonkey that gets on here and spews stupid, uneducated comments about how the fire service is great, big shiny fire trucks are great, and EMS should be thankful that they even get to breath the same air each day. You seem to actually be contributing in a positive way, so my bad.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I started working up here, I found out there are three levels of EMT in the state standard before paramedic. Everyone in the EMS system seems like they are committed to achieving all three stages before attempting paramedic school. Which is surprising. In California, everyone just operates at the basic level for a couple years, and then jumps into paramedic school. Up here, the stages gradually introduce advanced techniques while maintaining focus on BLS. It seems like it is far more productive for the human mind to undergo that kind of conditioning. Paramedics are on a far looser chain up here in terms of medical direction also. The MICP's are trained to be more off-line than in the lower 48, due to the isolated areas. All of the medics I have met up here are like walking medical encyclopedias... really very knowledgeable. I thing the state regulations have a lot to do with that.

I don't see much difference between AK and the many other states that add another CERT purely based on "how to do A SKILL" and not expanding the education. There are only 50 hours and 10 patient contacts for the inbetween levels. Where is that productive? "I can do this skill but I haven't gotten to the next level to know why yet?"

I don't mean to sound critical but AK's certification levels appear to be as wacky as those in many other states.

http://www.chems.alaska.gov/EMS/Levels.htm

ETT Emergency Trauma Technician ------ 40 hours

EMT-I Emergency Medical Technician-I is equivalent to the National Standard EMT-Basic ---- 120 hours

Defibrillator Technician--- EMT-I with an additional 16 hours of training

EMT-II Emergency Medical Technician II --- 50 hours ---- IVs and a few meds

EMT-III Emergency Medical Technician III ---- 50 hours --- use of morphine, lidocaine, atropine, and epinephrine

MICP Mobile Intensive Care Paramedics - 500 didactic; 232 clinical; 480 field internship (just over 1200 hours - CA is 1090 hours which is about average for the Paramedic programs in the lower 48).

All total with ALL levels including "ETT" it barely comes close to a mere 1500 hours of training. Granted that is more than some states but....

Very good observation, Vent Medic.

It comes down to personal devotion to expanded knowledge and actual understanding. The people that I am surrounded with in the EMS system are knowledgeable. And I believe that the system up here has facilitated their growth. I'm not trying to get too far out of line here and boast Alaska as being the ideal model for everyone to follow. Ultimately, I wouldn't know. So I really can't say too much. I am seeing a lot of opportunities for me to expand my knowledge and skills in the EMS system. And for that, I'm thankful. It's not just about the place and the policies, it's about the people.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.