Freaking out on scene

fiznat

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It comes from a lack of exposure to death and "icky" stuff. I don't think she reacted that way solely because she was female, I think she reacted that way because it's precisely how she's been conditioned to react.

I think the person with the camera was a tool. I also agree, that someone should have put the bird out of its misery. No one likes having to do it, but sometimes it's necessary.

Sorry to hear about the cats bringing "presents" for you, Dust... they don't understand any better, they're just operating on instinct... but it doesn't make it any easier to have to clean up after and watch.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Hell, I like it when my cat brings up presents, it saves on cat food.

I grew up with three sisters, who were always screeching about everything, I maintain it is a female thing, they love to be offended and love being dramatic about everything.

And I maintain that it has nothing to do with being biologically female and everything to do with being socially conditioned to respond with screeching and to have that be "acceptable" because "she's just a woman."

Gender does not one's reaction make; gender ROLES learned in society has a lot to do with it.

I'm not a crazy feminist, before anyone gets on my case... and trust me, I usually am the first one to crack jokes about small feet, stoves, oven timers, and two black eyes... as well as commenting on female driving, and so on and so forth. But to insist that women love to be offended and dramatic simply because they happen to have ovaries and boobs is a little misguided. They behave that way because they've been taught that having ovaries and boobs means you scream at icky stuff and get all huffy all the time.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Oh no! Fiz, don't get scared. I'm done, really I am. I blame some of it on working with literary theory right now... I'm right smack in the middle of gender studies, Queer Theory and feminist lit.

Nobody get scared! I'm not shooting to kill, I promise! :lol:

Wendy

CO EMT-B

If I had a nickle for every bird I hit last summer with an ambulance in the course of one week / shift rotation, Id be a rich man.

Geeze. Sounds like you're living in an Alfred Hitchcock movie. :shock:

Geeze. Sounds like you're living in an Alfred Hitchcock movie. :shock:

About 2 years ago we had a night where it sounded like the ambulance was getting pelted by large hail, but it was birds. We also hit 2 deer, a bunch of rabbits. By the end of that transport our amblance looked like it had been parked in a slaughter house, blood, fur, feathers, and even meat chunks. Never had a night like that before or since, was really like the animals and birds had decided to commit mass suicide.