Looking for advice on choosing a medic program.

ChevyEMS

The current school I am going to for my EMT-B (pre-req. to the Paramedic Program) is restructuring their program which would require me to wait a semester to begin my PS classes. There is also an option at the Univ. of Iowa Hospital for a 15 wk PS program (M-F 8-4) followed by field & clinical internships. I was just looking for thoughts as to whether or not I should wait a semester and start the Two year program, or if I should go to the intensive training program at the U of I.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

~ Chevy

4 month program vs a two year degree program? It's a no brainer.

Despite Fires best efforts, EMS truly is moving forward with education. Many here convinced me that I needed to get my degree as opposed to a cert and I've not for one second regretted it. Now, not everyone will agree. When I rode in Pueblo I learned quickly not to mention it or to get very deep into A&P when asking questions. The degree was viewed with scorn. When I rode in the Springs (CO) it was viewed immediately, and to the best of my knowledge, universally as a "stand up" way to start my EMS career. I was congratulated and given the benefit of the doubt by all that were made aware of it, and my preceptors were shy about making it common knowledge.

One program is short...The other longer and tougher...in both you will reap what you sew.

Good luck to you...

Dwayne

To be quite honest, neither of them sound like a good idea.

Before you start any "PS" classes, you should get all the pre-requisite support courses done. Yeah, I know the 15 week firemonkey medic mill doesn't require any pre-requisites, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't take them. The amount of understanding and competence you will take from any medic school after completing Anatomy & Physiology, Microbiology, Algebra, Psychology and Sociology, is ten times that you will take away without that foundation. Any school that even takes students without those pre-requisites is a school that sucks.

As Dwayne implies, this isn't 1972 anymore. It's not about getting the patch. It's about being the very best medical provider you can be. And if you go straight to some shake & bake school without a scientific foundation under you, you are not being the best you can be. You're just meeting the bare minimum requirement for a patch. You're not fifty years old. Don't get in a big hurry. Do it right and be proud of your achievement.

After you achieve that pre-requisite educational foundation, you will be intellectually equipped to excel and make the most of any paramedic school. At that point, then come back and give us links to the schools you are considering, and we can narrow it down for you. Good luck!

To be quite honest, neither of them sound like a good idea.

Before you start any "PS" classes, you should get all the pre-requisite support courses done. Yeah, I know the 15 week firemonkey medic mill doesn't require any pre-requisites, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't take them. The amount of understanding and competence you will take from any medic school after completing Anatomy & Physiology, Microbiology, Algebra, Psychology and Sociology, is ten times that you will take away without that foundation. Any school that even takes students without those pre-requisites is a school that sucks.

As Dwayne implies, this isn't 1972 anymore. It's not about getting the patch. It's about being the very best medical provider you can be. And if you go straight to some shake & bake school without a scientific foundation under you, you are not being the best you can be. You're just meeting the bare minimum requirement for a patch. You're not fifty years old. Don't get in a big hurry. Do it right and be proud of your achievement.

After you achieve that pre-requisite educational foundation, you will be intellectually equipped to excel and make the most of any paramedic school. At that point, then come back and give us links to the schools you are considering, and we can narrow it down for you. Good luck!

I have a bachelor's degree in Music Education as well as a bachelor's degree in Biology. The pre-req coursework has been completed.

I have a bachelor's degree in Music Education as well as a bachelor's degree in Biology. The pre-req coursework has been completed.

Well, now that changes things considerably! :D

There is no foolproof way to compare similar programmes. Generally, the mathematical approach holds true, meaning that the programme with the most contact hours provides the best bet. Again, that is total contact hours, not calendar time. I am not one who believes that a two year programme is better than a 6 month programme when both of them equate to the same amount of contact hours. But, fair or not, a lot of people will always equate the accelerated schools with an inferior education. That can sometimes hurt you in the job search. But anyone who sees your educational achievement on a resume should know better than that.

If both have similar hours, then you have to look at other factors.

1. Is either or both programmes Nationally Accredited? I would lean heavily towards any programme that is.

2. Is full-time, eight hours a day of intensive education something that you can easily do right now? Some people -- even those with degrees -- do not do well in that kind of environment, and can learn better when given time to digest things before moving on. Others thrive in that environment. Which is best for you? Which will disrupt your life least, resulting in less stress?

3. What are the clinical facilities for each school? It sometimes holds true that a medic school run by a medical school can offer better clinical opportunities, and a better educated and prepared instruction staff. That, however, is not always true. Sometimes the community college utilises the very same clinical facilities and has a professional instructor staff too.

4. Who is the school tailored to? Frequently, the full-time accelerated schools are specifically geared towards firemonkeys. As a result, they often offer a watered down, dumbed down curriculum that is aimed specifically towards teaching students to pass the test and function at a minimally competent level. Conversely, a school that is not specifically funded by, and geared towards firemen has a better chance of offering a more in-depth educational experience. The community college degree programmes, that require extensive pre-requisites, have the luxury of dealing with a better prepared class of students, and can therefore teach on a higher level. Of course, it doesn't always work out that way, but it can and often does.

Seems like there was something else I wanted to say, but a Victoria's Secret commercial just came on the tele and totally distracted me.

Or you could go here:

Spenac Paramedic Academy

Fast Track Paramedic

Our mission is to provide a fast skill based program void of the medical education that you will not be able to use. We focus on what to do, not why you do it. We do not waste time educating you on things your employer will not allow you to use. We do not waste time on the past, we do not focus on the future as we are confident that EMS has advanced as far as it can. We are confident our training will enable you to handle your job long enough to move to the profession you want. We give you the minimum required so you can get done quicker and start making money. How? Just one example:We teach you how to place the 12 lead not how to interpret, let the machine tell you whats wrong, then read your protocol book or call the doctor to find out how to treat. In less than 2 weeks you to can be a paragod.

Again, that is total contact hours, not calendar time. I am not one who believes that a two year programme is better than a 6 month programme when both of them equate to the same amount of contact hours. But, fair or not, a lot of people will always equate the accelerated schools with an inferior education.

I do have to disagree with you a little on this Dust. How can you expect anyone to (reasonably so) commit at LEAST 1-2 hrs of study for EVERY hour in class with a 6 month program? If you work it out...then they have a 4-5 day period where they would get no sleep. Now clearly, I know that's not terribly realistic, but study time is HUGE in a medic class. With a 6 month program, you get less study time=less understanding, my 2 cents worth. Hell, just expand it by a few months=greater "sink-in" time, more study time. I can tell you, the 6 month program that the CC does here generates a lot of patches and not medics. As a preceptor at UMC (level 1 trauma center), I eventually see most of the students in each class. There are a lot that don't know their ass from a hole in the ground on most things.

I agree that this is the norm. But different students learn in different ways, and at different paces. Some students are better prepared than others. Some have been going to school full-time, 8 hours a day all their lives, and do well. On the other hand, the students who are not well prepared, have done nothing but roll hose or flip burgers ever since high school, or are just looking for a "fast track" to the FD usually do not do well in these schools. Just as you suggest, they very frequently come out inadequately educated. No disagreement there. But I'm not trying to advise the world here. I'm only trying to advise one well prepared student who asked the question. And if the school itself is delivering quality education during that accelerated pace, then the right students can indeed thrive on it.

Immersion is a very valid means of education. That's how med school does it. It can work for us too. We just have to have people who are properly prepared with a foundation before hand. Those that flunk out because intense immersion wasn't a good choice for them, well... I am unconcerned.