Negligents at the rodeo

Timmy

Last night I played witness to one of the most negligent, shocking, jaw dropping, words can’t describe display of first aid I’ve ever seen in my life.

Let me set the scene.

There was a rodeo about 2 mins walk from my house last night. I don’t normally go to these types of events in a non EMS capacity but seeing it was so close a group of friends and I decided to go as spectators.

Out of curiosity I walked past the first aid tent to see who was covering the event. There were two old men sitting there with a massage table and a few bags, they were not in any sort of uniform and didn’t appear to be from any sort of company. I didn’t think anything of it and continued on with my friends.

About an hour later a house kicked one of the clowns into the shoots quiet badly. He was kind of flipped over hitting his head on the fence part and landing quiet heavily on his right shoulder. He did appear to be unresponsive for a short amount of time. The commentator called for the first aid and these two old blokes hobble out, one with a cigarette in his mouth. They were on the ground with him for about 10mintues before they made him stand up and walked him back to the tent. He was quiet unsteady on his feet, his right shoulder was clearly fractured (drop of about 5cm) he was bleeding from the head and holding his shoulder, all crunched over, about 3 people were supporting him so he didn’t fall over.

Again, out of curiosity from the poor management these guys had shown on the arena I walked down and sat near the tent with one of my friends who is a nurse. They sat him on the massage table, took his gear off and began massaging oil into his shoulder! It was clearly fractured, I could see from a distance the clavicle was deformed and angulated. The clown then told them he wanted to go back out there so the man gave him a cigarette, told him to have a few drags and calm down then suggested that he be taken to hospital! We then promptly power walked to the bar and had a drink to calm down. We also decided we’d seen enough, we didn’t want to provide a witness statement in the coroner’s inquest.

I mean, I really couldn’t believe my eyes. I would have taken spinal precautions, controlled the bleeding, gave pain meds, maybe even fluids and defiantly called a road crew to transport.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They sat him on the massage table, took his gear off and began massaging oil into his shoulder! It was clearly fractured, I could see from a distance the clavicle was deformed and angulated. The clown then told them he wanted to go back out there so the man gave him a cigarette, told him to have a few drags and calm down then suggested that he be taken to hospital!

I was totally waiting to hear the clown burst into flames! :lol:

Ive worked rodeos for many years and what you are describing is very typical. Unless the person doesn't wake up they almost always walk the person out of the arena. It's part of the rodeo culture to "cowboy up " and walk it off. Usually though they don't let you near the pt. More than one time I've seen a competitor get injured, bandaged up, and still compete. Then be called back after the rodeo to pick up the injured competitor. Now in severe pain. Or they went to the hospital in a pick-up truck and now need a ground transport to higher care. My personal favorite is when they walk them to your rig with neuro deficits and still don't want to be immobilized.

lol Dust, maybe he would have been better off?

I do agree, rodeo, MX riders, speedway drivers ect let pride get in the way of common sense.

Now some of them just race up and down the halls of the LTC facilities in their electric wheel chairs with ventilators attached on the back.

lol! Oh well, it's there funeral

I love rodeos! I'd be dead, but they go out w/ fractures doctored up with horse leg wrap and duct tape, broken ribs.. Few ever want treatment or transport. They know the risks, and they want to take them. We're just there for the ones who break both legs, and can't walk back to their stall.. But one leg, is a leg to hop on.

We then promptly power walked to the bar and had a drink to calm down
I keep forgetting you Aussies can drink at 19 . . man!

Anyway,

I have a friend who served expert witness for a suit where EMTs at a horse race yanked up up a fallen jocky from the ground and walked him off. As luck would have it, he DID have a spinal injury and ended up paralyzed. All on video. The EMT's defense was that he wanted to walk off. Jocky won the suit, of course. They should have done a full AMA before that or at least not participated in yanking him to his feet.

As I have been in that mentality for 20 years, I will explain it a little.

Was this a small town rodeo or a professional rodeo? All pro rodeos will have an ambulance on scene for transport (which is highly unlikely). They have a sports team present that deals with cowboys on a daily basis. Most of these members are highly respected Dr's and sports therapists. Those two old men, may have been Dr's.

What you described is a daily occurrence in rodeo and that is how it is done. That is why the EMT's and medics are not allowed in, until they need transport. They do not understand the injuries and mindset of rodeo athletes.

There is no other sport where the athletes will compete with the injuries that a cowboy will receive. These guys don't make money, unless they compete. They don't have million dollar contracts that pay them, even when injured. I have competed and worked with pain and injuries, that would put a normal person in the ICU. You would be surprised at the amount of pain tolerance one can achieve, when you have to. As someone mentioned, the only time I was ever transported was when I was unconscious and could not refuse treatment. I walked out of the ED two hours later and was fine. Yes, I live with the damage to my body and the pain I have everyday, but I loved every minute of it.

I can tell you that a rodeo athlete is the most respected by Dr's that deal with sports injuries. It amazes them at the pain tolerance that they have achieved!