Books for my personal library

akroeze

I use the Harrison's Principles of internal medicine and Guytons physiology (dont remember the complete title) when I wanna go really in-depth but those books are quite advanced so only useful if you've already taken other science courses. I also used a lot Dubin's Rapid Interpretation of EKG (but seems that you've covered that area).

I use the Harrison's Principles of internal medicine and Guytons physiology (dont remember the complete title) when I wanna go really in-depth but those books are quite advanced so only useful if you've already taken other science courses. I also used a lot Dubin's Rapid Interpretation of EKG (but seems that you've covered that area).

Excellent choices! All the top books in their field, by far.

For someone looking into clinical practice, such as offshore or remote duty clinic work, there are other recommendations I would have. But I don't think that is what is being asked for here. Of course, before I recommend any book for any purpose, I would recommend simply returning to school for more education. Things like Microbiology, Biochemistry, and Pathyphysiology simply cannot be learned from a textbook alone. And really, those are the very foundations of our practice.

I completely agree Dust and since the start of my health care career as an RPN I have always been in school for something. I plan to continue this, although not in a full time capacity anymore (unless I get the flight job I'm hoping for.... then another 6 months education for that).

These are more books to have for reference or to look at from time to time as a refresher

The Bledsoe Critical Care Paramedic book might be good for you.

Squint got a copy REAL cheap that he might sell ya, lol. Autographed too!

I am a textbook junkie. How much do you want to spend? :wink:

In my opinion, Garcia is the only ecg text you need. Master that and you will be interpreting at the physician level.

Tintinalli is excellent. The study guide is great to keep around, but "baby Tint" is handy as well.

Lange does an excellent series of texts in the basic sciences.

The "----- made ridiculously simple" is a great series, explained in easier terms than Lange.

Bates and/or Mosby are the standard physical exam texts in medical school.

Harrison is a bit heavy; you might find Current Medical Diagnosis and Treatment a better read for general medicine, or the similar Current Diagnosis and Treatment in Emergency Medicine more readable.

A differential diagnosis handbook is helpful. I like The Professional Guide to Signs & Symptoms.

Two great peds books are The Pediatric Emergency Medicine Resource (the textbook for the APLS course) and Pediatric Resuscitation: A Practical Approach. If you order the second book from the ACEP.org bookstore, it includes updates reflecting the newest PALS guidelines. There is a red and black peds text that looks a lot like Tint and is from the same publisher; I don't think it will add much to your pre-hospital practice if you read Tint.

Minor Emergencies: Splinters to Fractures is a quick and easy read with lots of high-yield information.

If you really want to spend some money (or can find used copies at a good price), Atlas of Emergency Medicine and Atlas of Pediatric Emergency Medicine have great pictures plus useful clinical pearls.

That should start you off!

The Bledsoe Critical Care Paramedic book might be good for you.

Squint got a copy REAL cheap that he might sell ya, lol. Autographed too!

NOT a HOPE its a keeper !

I'm not feeling up to reading all that has been suggested, but one book that is a good read is "Everything We Had" by Al Santoli. It's real stories of Viet Nam , many of them are Medic stories. I know it's not EMS, but for me and some others I know, it sort of put things in perspective at times.

And why not? Find a new or real recent PDR. Or at least one of those medication info books you can pick up at almost any pharmacy. You'd be amazed by how many times you'll refer to it.

That's my two cents.

One book that I can't believe I forgot is Behavioral First Aid, but Virginia Duffy (a forum member here).

http://www.psychsense.com/behavioral_first_aid.htm

You will get more use out of the information in this book than any other book in your library. In fact, you will find it useful on over ninety percent of your patients. Great stuff, and highly recommended!

I absolutely LOVE Dr. Walls book. It has changed the way I look at airway management. I have just about finished reading it straight through. Once I have done that there are a number of chapters I have in my mind that I want to review again to make sure I have the concepts. For anyone who has intubation as part of their toolkit be it standard, awake intubation or RSI or any combination you owe it to your patients to read this book.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.