To everyone who helped me with my sharps problem

Kaisu

I just want to thank you guys. I implemented most of the suggestions made to me. As Dust suggested, I figured out the root cause for my mistakes. Most of my clinical experience was in the ER setting. We never got a BGL off of an IV stick. (blood draws from time to time sure, but no BGLs). Both of the problems I had were directly related to errors when getting that blood for the BGL. I don't get a BGL off an IV. If I need it, I will do the lancet thing.

Secondly, I got religion. My instructor had treated retractable sharps as SAFE sharps when really, they are SAFER sharps. I had to think of a sharp as a loaded pistol. I know how I feel about those. Thirdly, I verbalize my process. When I take out a sharp, I say "Sharp" and when I dispose of it, I say "sharp contained". My EMT partner hears this and is a secondary check feature for me.

Fourth, I limit the IV sticks in the field. Just because my company wants one doesn't mean the patient needs one. It is risk benefit thing and why expose a patient to a stick in the back of an ambulance if its not necessary.

I just got off a 72 hour shift. The EMT that threatened to walk off the job if paired with me worked with me during the last 12 of this marathon. It was all good. I am feeling much better about this job. It is a tough gig but I am making it work.

You were all here for me and I can't tell you how much I appreciate all your help. This place is terrific. Thank you again.

Now that this is settled business -- which was the goal during the original topic -- I want to mention something I thought about at the time, but held back on.

You mention your EMT partner blames the problem on your having no EMT experience. WTF? Obviously s/he has learned nothing from his/her EMT "experience", or else s/he would have recognised the problem after the first time and been there with a sharps container, ready to take care of it the next time you started an IV. Instead, s/he continued to watch a problem fester without taking the slightest measure to fix it. That is FAIL. Whether s/he is stupid, incompetent, or intentionally sabotaging your success by failing to support you as a partner -- which is his/her SOLE purpose as an EMT -- is inexcusable, and would be addressed quite seriously by me, were I his/her supervisor. Don't come whining to me about any problem until you have an idea how to solve it. And if you have an idea how to solve it -- and it is your primary responsibility to solve it -- and you FAIL to even attempt it, I have no need for you. There is chest-high a stack of basic EMT applications in my office, and another class of thirty graduating next week. If you aren't a team player, I bet one of them will be.

Watch your back, K.

Now that this is settled business -- which was the goal during the original topic -- I want to mention something I thought about at the time, but held back on.

You mention your EMT partner blames the problem on your having no EMT experience. WTF? Obviously s/he has learned nothing from his/her EMT "experience", or else s/he would have recognised the problem after the first time and been there with a sharps container, ready to take care of it the next time you started an IV. Instead, s/he continued to watch a problem fester without taking the slightest measure to fix it. That is FAIL. Whether s/he is stupid, incompetent, or intentionally sabotaging your success by failing to support you as a partner -- which is his/her SOLE purpose as an EMT -- is inexcusable, and would be addressed quite seriously by me, were I his/her supervisor. Don't come whining to me about any problem until you have an idea how to solve it. And if you have an idea how to solve it -- and it is your primary responsibility to solve it -- and you FAIL to even attempt it, I have no need for you. There is chest-high a stack of basic EMT applications in my office, and another class of thirty graduating next week. If you aren't a team player, I bet one of them will be.

Watch your back, K.

As an EMT, I can't agree with Dust more. I am there to support my partner, anticipate what my partner will need before he/she has to tell me, and tactfully remind him/her when they have forgotten something. I am also there to learn and grow as a caregiver so that when I am done with medic school, I will have a great basis for which to provide care and continue learning.

As an EMT, I can't agree with Dust more. I am there to support my partner, anticipate what my partner will need before he/she has to tell me, and tactfully remind him/her when they have forgotten something. I am also there to learn and grow as a caregiver so that when I am done with medic school, I will have a great basis for which to provide care and continue learning.

A good EMT who is noticing a problem such as inadequate handling of sharps will mention the problem to there partner and take action to help their partner in correcting the problem. Failure to do so is an inadequacy of the EMT. I realize Dust can be a little abrasive in how he says things at times but he is still correct with regards to this issue.

A good EMT who is noticing a problem such as inadequate handling of sharps will mention the problem to there partner and take action to help their partner in correcting the problem. Failure to do so is an inadequacy of the EMT. I realize Dust can be a little abrasive in how he says things at times but he is still correct with regards to this issue.

If you read my post, I stated that I agree with Dust. I did not argue against his statement.

You are a very perceptive man Dust... this is a very insular almost redneck crowd that doesn't take kindly to outsiders - especially one from out of state, female and not doing it the way they did. These folks are mostly holdovers from before the big private took over. The corporate oversight and discipline is a good thing... This EMT called the GM and said " If I have to work with her I am going home". They said " Walk then pal - cause that is the drill." He is one of the most senior EMTs here and one of the most influential. I like to think that the co. backed me because I am an amazing medic but the fact is that they need me - any warm body with a medic cert - more than they need the EMT.

The harassment from the ole boys has started. Fortunately, I've forgotten more about that simple minded crap than they know. My goal is to put my head down and become the best paramedic I can be. I also know lots of Wisconsin trained medics that now have a connection to a spot where they can get all the hours and OT they want - if they are tough enough to hack it. Maybe we can drag this place kicking and screaming into the 21st century for para medicine...

PS.. I will be back crying in my beer here more than this once before all this settles.... stay tuned 8)

My apologies katbemeEMT-B. I read disagree not agree. Guess that's what happens when you're on nights for weeks at a time.

If that person walked off from you, you could have called me. I'd be glad to work with you. And if you mishandled a sharp, I'd only slap you on the back of the hand.

If that person walked off from you, you could have called me. I'd be glad to work with you. And if you mishandled a sharp, I'd only slap you on the back of the hand.

Thanks - it means a lot to me.